Outhaul rigging

soak

Hi all,

I am new to the laser and am currently upgrading an old boat.. Through research on this forum, I have found many different ways to rig the new style outhaul. It seems like more sailors are opting to rig a cascade system on the end of the boom by cow hitching the second control line to the old cleat.

I would like to rig a similar setup, except I want to move the cascade closer to the gooseneck. Attached is an illustration of what I am envisioning.

The parts in the illustration are as follows:
1: Red line: Thin spectra
2: Blue line: Something comfortable to pull on
3: Green line: Spectra loop. Large enough to easily slide of the mast for rigging/derigging purposes.
4: Shackle or small spectra tie: To keep the green spectra loop from sliding down the mast while rigged.

After reading all the class rules, and posts on this forum, I am pretty sure this is a legal way to rig it, but I would love to know if anyone sees any conflicts. Does anyone see any benefits/drawbacks to this system?

Also, are there any diameter restrictions to the control lines? Why isn't everyone using super skinny line for the parts you don't pull on?

Thanks everyone for your time!

Attachments

• LaserOuthaul_060210.jpg
    LaserOuthaul_060210.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 170
The way you're using the shackle I think might be illegal (I'll get back to you after I've done some reading), but the rest of the system is ok. An alternate way of doing exactly what you've get there is in my attachment, except the block taking the outline to the deck is on the side, causing less friction.

Note: the loop going around the mast is formed by tying the ends of the rope together as you're rigging. All it really does is fixes the pulley from moving to far away from the mast

Attachments

• PICT0006.jpg
    PICT0006.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 143
  • PICT0001.jpg
    PICT0001.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 118
  • PICT0005.jpg
    PICT0005.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 115
  • PICT0007.jpg
    PICT0007.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 132
I have a set-up similar to Alan, but without the mid-boom block. I haven't had any trouble pulling the outhaul tight, but rather have more trouble subsequently letting it loose on the downwind leg. I'm not sure that the mid-boom blocks are needed.

Also, are there any diameter restrictions to the control lines? Why isn't everyone using super skinny line for the parts you don't pull on?

Define super skinny.. You need to watch out on the aft fairlead on the boom - very small dia line will chew thru the plastic fairlead, and if you switch to the metal fairlead, you have to make sure you sand the bottom of the fairlead to match the boom radius, otherwise the line will get pinched and stuck between the boom and the fairlead. The weight savings is pretty small going from 3mm down to anything less then that. If weight is your concern, look into using the lightest blocks that are strong enough..

Thanks everyone for the replies!

49208, my thought was that a smaller diameter line would run smoother. I guess I was wrong.

Back