Outhaul / Cunningham rigging

BVS

I came across the clip above on Youtube which shows a way of rigging the outhaul and cunningham that I've not seen before. It looks much neater than my current setup with blocks tied to the mast and bits of tape to hold them in place.

rI just wondered what other people think. Personally I would use fewer purchases but I might give it a go. I can't quite see how he attaches the outhaul near the gooseneck - any idea?

I think he's got an eyebolt in the gooseneck. His outhaul block is shackled to it. I don't like having all the purchase at the front of the boom. When he goes down wind and pops off the outhaul. It is going to sag big time. I prefer to have the purchase attached to the boom cleat.

That way works, you can't leave it attached to the boom,

This is how I rig it in about 30 seconds:

http://laserxd.com/how-to-rig-a-laser-sailboat-outhaul-inhaul-clew.php

I find that it works really well and is really easy to rig, and once you set it up, you can leave it on the boom,

so when I'm ready to sail,

1-I attach the clew strap/inhaul
2-run the outhaul sheet through the mast block, deck block and deck cleat
3-attach the clew hook and that's it

Hope that helps

You're permitted to use shock cord and / or rope lopes to support the outhaul line. 3.(f)vii.

It's a neat system, far to much purchase in my opinion which adds to much friction and hence the need for the shock cord to act as an inhaul. In my opinion, having the pulley system forward of the cockpit is better, your reference points when adjusting it are ahead of you when you need to be looking ahead particularly mark roundings.

Attachments

• Rigging 1.JPG
    Rigging 1.JPG
    747.4 KB · Views: 121
  • Rigging 4.JPG
    Rigging 4.JPG
    785.1 KB · Views: 112
I've noticed that many of the big boys like Slingsby rig it behind the cleat and then the line is only hanging from the cleat to the turning point on the mast.

Alan does have a point on where you put your reference markings. I usually blow off the outhaul down wind, upwind is where I'm making changes to the outhaul. I like having it right infront off me. In the past I'd simply go off the distance from the clew to the end of the boom.

So may options for such a simple boat.

Thanks for the opinions, I guess some of it is down to personal preference. I don't like tying blocks to the mast with bits of string (e.g. for the cunningham bottom block) - I think it looks naff but if it works......

I've seen the link posted by laserxd before. I noticed it recommends rigging the sail on the ground then lifting the whole thing into place. I tried that once and nearly made an arse of myself - maybe it comes with practice. At my club we can usually shelter behind the clubhouse but I can see the theoretical advantages of ground-rigging when no shelter is available.

Back