Osmosis in a new Laser?

Discussion in 'Laser Class Politics' started by bouyracer, Aug 23, 2005.

1. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

Shoot (pun intended)

I heard Texas decided to simplify and eliminated the first four requirements.

2. bouyracer

bouyracer New Member

We tried to take the dealer who we brought the boat from to the smalls claim court to settle this dispute. The case was dissmissed because the dealer did not act neglegent, he did not know he was selling a faulty boat.
    Our only option is to sue the manufacture in the district court with lawyers costs estimated at 10 to 15 thousand, I am not going to spend that over a $5000.00 boat!
    The manufacture does not sell direct allways thru dealers, so under the law here he is safe from small claims legal action thru the court system.

The other concerning fact is, according to the judge here is, if we do not ask for a warranty there is none!
    Warranties or a durability statement is silent on dealers, manufacturers and associations web pages, sales brochures etc.

As the manufacture is the sole supplier and cannot be held accountable I am very reluctant to spend another $1.00 with him,
    Think the only option left is to give up sailing lasers and go riding Hartley motorbikes!

I urge this monolopy situation is stopped, so we have a choice who we deal with if we wish to sail a Laser

Attached are photos

Attached Files:

3. rock steady

rock steady New Member

Well that looks pretty bad. I can see why you tried to take action. I would hate to buy a new boat like that.

4. john w

john w New Member

Good Day, I was dissapointed to hear of the problems with blistering in some new Lasers. I am contemplating getting back into a dinghy after a few years pursuing other interests. I still haven't made up my mind as to what Class to jump into. I'm considering a few others, as well as a Laser (which I use to sail several years ago). Based on the description, photos and the lack of dealer/manufacturer response to the problem(s), I have eliminated the Laser from my list of potentials. I'm sure that I'm not the only would-be purchaser concerned with product integrity. I would suggest that if you have a problem with blistering (despite due deligence), you should continue to update your situation frequently (top of the page) on the Laserforum. Nothing gets a company's attention faster than bad press, especially when it could effect the bottom line. Regards, JLW

5. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

You realize, I hope, that that boat was made by an Australian manufacturer? I haven't heard of any such problems with Vanguard made boats, the American version.

Merrily

6. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

Ditto.

7. bouyracer

bouyracer New Member

I would like to know who the Australian manufacturer is building the laser under licence to, and is there any durability statement internationally made! Or you get given whatever you get!

8. Murphs

Murphs New Member

they arent under licence to anyone, they're the australian office of performance sailcraft, who own the laser trademark http://www.lasersailing.com.au/

9. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

They own the Laser trademark in that region of the world.

M

10. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

From ILCA By-Law 1

DEFINITION OF BUILDER
    A Builder is a manufacturer that has a building agreement from Bruce Kirby or Bruce Kirby Inc. to build the Laser and has rights to use a Laser trademark and has been approved as a Laser Builder by each of the International Sailing Federation and the International Laser Class Association.

11. rock steady

rock steady New Member

So essentially Bruce Kirby, the ISAF or ILCA has the power to revoke a license from a builder. Has this ever happenned?

12. bouyracer

bouyracer New Member

So we have heard here in this forum,
    1/ How the Laser is built equally around the world and is unique in this respect.
    2/ Osmosis is not a problem with USA built boats.
    3/ USA manufactures give a 2 yr warranty.
    4/ Australian manufactures 1 month. If the boat has been chartered for 3 weeks by the manufacturer when the manufacturer sells the boat on.

And the laser class of boat is equal regardless of where it is built?

We really have to put up with some rubbish product.

13. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

Don't hold your breath.

14. Slipstream

Slipstream Member

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to add: Ive seen two Australian made lasers in the 18xxxx range that suffer from osmosis... In fact they are the only two AUS lasers where I'm at.

They have both been babied I.e. hosed down and dried after use, covered with breathable top cover, bung out and stored in the shade!

There are dozens of other lasers, all made in England, some of them have been abused and are over twenty years old and none of them have osmosis.

Needless to say I won't be buying an AUS boat if I can help it.

Just my two cents.

15. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Oh, the irony.

16. AlanD

AlanD Former ISAF Laser Measurer

I suspect the issue the boats being shipped by a 3rd party in bubble wrap. I've never come across an Australian boat in Australia or New Zealand that has this problem, but our boats are not wrapped in bubble wrap or plastic for transportation when they leave the factory.

17. rippa

rippa Member

Why not ship a container load of Lasers from Europe or the US to Australia? The high Ozzy dollar would make this a worthwhile proposition. Funnily this does not happen, rather the other way around. Why?