Original Sail

onetwoMeny

my only sail is an 1973 sail it was original with my boat. however this sail does not have a class button what do i do. i want to race but i cannot aford a new sail at the moment. what do i do? did they even have a class button back then. if not could i have it measured before a race to check if its legal.

my only sail is an 1973 sail it was original with my boat. however this sail does not have a class button what do i do. i want to race but i cannot aford a new sail at the moment. what do i do? did they even have a class button back then. if not could i have it measured before a race to check if its legal.

Who is the maker of your sail? I've seen old sails without the button that I think are legal--at least they are by legal makers.

The class button is a rather recent 'invention' and you don't need it on a sail for it to be 'legal'.

this sail does not have a class button what do i do. ... what do i do?

Just recite this oath:

“I, Evan Groot-Koerkamp, of Shearwater Yacht Club, Canada, do solemly swear that me buttin is not missing on purpose. It was like that when I did get it.”

Then you point to your own belly button and clap three times.

Do this before each race, you should be ok - as long as you are no closer than 3 boat lengths to the club house.

Yeh your fine.. A fella here has a 25k sail no and has an original sail that is brand new! sail is fine and so were the class association at the states.

As the future VP has written just too posts above this one, "your fine."

It is great too know that you're questions will always be answered by at least to people whenever your posting on this forum.

The red button has absolutely nothing to do with the legality of your sail for Laser racing. The approved sail manufacturers always paid the same fees but at some point, the big shots who tax the game decided to buy trinkets and send those trinkets to fee paying sailmakers. My guess is some friend of some bigshot at the IYRU had a friend (Perhaps the snactician on his Magregor 26?)in the button business whose business was suffering since the introduction of zippers and Velcro. Odds are the politician big shot had an investment in that button manufacturing business and he was about to lose some of his own money as well.
The politician bigshot used his position to spend other people's money and to send money that should have been sent to enhance the game on the purchase of buttons from his friend. The button on your sail simply means the manufacturer of the sail has been sent a little red plastic thing in addition to his receipt and that he decided to put it on the sail rather than fill his dumpster.

Back to the real world??....

Thanks two Bradley for providing this service too all of us. Your a great guy!!

Vote four Ross fore VP!!! You're Laser class kneeds guys like hymn!!

Groov, u make me think your having second thots on annointing Ross B.

NO actually, I think he and guys like him are the very best chance for sailing to be a po;lular sport again. I just wish somebody would refocus our education system such that the kids come out with some knowledge of the English language.

Todays's Pet peeve??

Public communicators need to have a great command of the language so the nitpicky will not be able to use those foibles to detract from the real message.

But back on thread>>>

The original sail is smaller and less sturdy than the newer sails. You would be better served to find a cheap used newer sail than to continue sailing with an older smaller and different rag.

I just wish somebody would refocus our education system such that the kids come out with some knowledge of the English language.

How true. As our President said, "Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?"

But don't worry about it Ross. In today's America, failure to grasp the basics of English grammar and spelling will not hold you back one iota. If you don't succeed in your campaign to be VP of the Laser Class, you could always run for President of the United States.

I forgot you can be the Pres of the US with a "C" average. I have a 3.0 right now in college, I might be a bit over qualified.

Just to circle around to the topic, I just wanted to state that I believe Laser class rules apply to only those regattas that require you to be an ILCA member???? Or if you are kicking everyones butt all the time...

Back