Opinions please! Bung in or bung out? - In the boat park!

Turtled

Hi all.
Yet another question for you all.... Basically, when a Laser is laid up in the boat park, should I just leave the bung in tight, or loosen it off? When I first learned to sail I remember being told to leave it loose so the hull wouldn't expand & contract with changes in temperature. However, a friend of mine who has a (new) Laser has told me it isn't necessary to loosen it off....

What should I be doing? What do you all do?

Cheers.
Turtled

There should be a breather hole just under the forward end of hiking strap. Its purpose is to allow expanding, hot air to escape.

So you can leave the transom bung in.

It's a smart move to remove the rubber bung on the cockpit drain (leave the bailer closed though so the rubber o-rings are as relaxed as possible) - this will allow the cockpit to drain without putting the o-rings under max tension which really shortens their already short life span)

One thing I learned about the breather hole the hard way.

If you are going to leave the boat on the trailer, upright and uncovered, be sure to prop up the tongue of the trailer. If it rains and fills up the cockpit, water will get into the hull through the breather hole.

It doesn't take as much rain to fill up the cockpit as you might think. This has happened to me overnight at a regatta.

My friend mentioned a breather hole, but I can't see anything. Have they always made them like that or is it a recent thing? Mine is approx 2004 (I think).

My friend mentioned a breather hole, but I can't see anything. Have they always made them like that or is it a recent thing? Mine is approx 2004 (I think).

They've always made them like that. It's a tiny hole, front of cockpit, under the hiking strap. If you can't see anything, check other people's boats so you can see what we're talking about, then get out your drill and make one. It is necessary.

I'll have another look. Definitely just a drill job? No sophisticated valve?

I'm worried now that I've not drained it out, and my cockpit has been full a couple of times when the bailer wasn't working properly! Hmmmm. That'll be one for this evening....

It's just a hole. Approx 1/8" in dia

As far as the water in the cockpit, that's why I mentioned it's a smart move to remove the cockput bung... (and try and level off the boat, and use a deck cover etc, etc.. )

It's just a hole. Approx 1/8" in dia

As far as the water in the cockpit, that's why I mentioned it's a smart move to remove the cockput bung... (and try and level off the boat, and use a deck cover etc, etc.. )

If you open the bailer but store it uncovered with the tongue down, the cockpit will STILL fill with enough water to submerge the breather hole.

I couldn't wait until tonight.... I've taken the bung out and tipped it up to see if there is water lurking, but it seems to be as dry as a bone (phew!). I've not uncovered it to find the breather hole because it is all strapped up at the mo, but I'll have a look at the weekend when I take it to the club.

Thanks for all the input!
:)

Its habit for me. I always unscrew my hull plug slightly.

I always remove the bung completely.
My logic is that if I left it in tight all the time, I will get out of the habit of checking it.
One day, somebody will steal it, I won't notice, and I'll go sailing with no bung.

When I de-rig I always remove the bung and tie it to my cunningham so that it is impossible to rig the boat next time without noticing the bung, and re-inserting it, thereby knowing that it is present and correct.

They've always made them like that. It's a tiny hole, front of cockpit, under the hiking strap. If you can't see anything, check other people's boats so you can see what we're talking about, then get out your drill and make one. It is necessary.

Here is a photo :)

Attachments

• Druckausgleichsloch.jpg
    Druckausgleichsloch.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 92
evereyboddy has forgot the main reason for taking the bung out it is there not only to let out water if for some weird reason you get water in your hull but its main purpose is so that you can take it out to let the ait circulate inside the hull to make sure that the fiberglass stays 100% bone dry inside.

Back