Older boat's hull ID

macwas16

Hi,

I just made an interesting discovery today on a very old Laser hull. I had aquired this boat from its third owner a while back intending on restoring it. It proved to be too much effort and from a buisness point of view, simply not worth the hassle. I sold it just today, you can view my for sale post in the classified section.

But to my point, I made the discovery when looking for the hull number stamped into the boat. The previous owner had not known the hull number but told me it was rumored to be a 1973 or earlier. I searched on the transom, but it was not there. I searched under the bow eye, but too, no number was present. It only came into view when I had flipped the boat over while showing it to its new owner. Right there just to the left of the daggerboard trunk were the large, maybe 1.25" tall numbers, reading "1223." My guess is that I only saw them now because enough dirt had collected that I could see the faint outline. 1223 has to be the sail number of this boat because it was clearely stamped into the deck by the manufacturer and according to the history the previous owner gave me, the number 1223 seems appropriate for that time.

The area I found it was on the smooth, slanted surface in the cockpit directly to the left of the daggerboard trunk. Has anyone ever heard of this before or is this a new part of Laser history?

Strange, I never herd of it being by the trunk. I know of a person who has a boat about the same number as the one you sold. I have to look at it and see if it is the same way.

-43575-

Back