Old Sunfish spars and spar repair question

Pirate_Marc

Hey Folks,

I just brought my Sunfish back home and was looking at my collection of spars to decide which set to use. I was fortunate that my family had a set sitting in a garage for probably 40+ years and they are in great shape, but are they Sunfish spars? They have eye bolts instead of the plastic end cap with the hole for the outhaul. If they are for a Sunfish should I use the eyebolts or eventually replace the end caps with these? Sunfish Boom Aft End Cap.

I just noticed the lower boom on the spars I was using is highly corroded and the upper boom is bent, so figured it was a good time to switch.

IMG_1853.jpeg
IMG_1852.jpeg

Ahoy Marc!
One of my sets of spars is like that, eyebolts and round end caps. both ends with the tack end having the co-joined eyebolts. That set I have sailed.
The other set of spars has the caps with molded eyes on the tack ends and....wait for it...nothing (!)...on the ends that need those caps or the extra eyebolts. Looks like I'll need to reverse the caps and figure something for caps on the tack ends.

Ahoy Tops!

Definitely sounds like you need to move some caps around to have a proper outhaul. Could the spars be from a different boat?

Ahoy Marc!
One of my sets of spars is like that, eyebolts and round end caps. both ends with the tack end having the co-joined eyebolts. That set I have sailed.
The other set of spars has the caps with molded eyes on the tack ends and....wait for it...nothing (!)...on the ends that need those caps or the extra eyebolts. Looks like I'll need to reverse the caps and figure something for caps on the tack ends.
Oh no! Did I send you off with a mis-matched set???

Oh no! Did I send you off with a mis-matched set???
No, no worries, the set I got from you is like Marc's and worked great. The set from my 'wet' boat, which has lightened up 60 of 100 extra pounds, are the ones that need the new style caps moved to the outhaul ends.

Consider replacing the eye bolts with proper Sunfish end caps for authentic performance. Maintaining original design ensures optimal functionality for your classic Sunfish sailing experience

Consider replacing the eye bolts with proper Sunfish end caps for authentic performance. Maintaining original design ensures optimal functionality for your classic Sunfish sailing experience
Honestly, it’s news to me that there is a non-Sunfish (LP or other ownership) knockoff option. Is there?

Not really. Viking spars where exactly the same as Sunfish spars and I think you would be hard pressed to see a difference but the spars on this thread are Sunfish spars but of an older vintage. They added the new end caps to protect the deck from getting scraped by the eye bolt but I'm not sure when this was added. You might be able to find it on the Sunfish timeline.

Thank you for the replies. I am going to sail with these spars until I can repair the others. I plan on getting a second boat so these will be a good backup set.

My very old Sunfish. Eye bolts. I’m an old fahrt so this is the only set up I know

Attachments

• IMG_4414.jpeg
    IMG_4414.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 81

Back