Old sail

norcalsail

Here's a photo of the tag on the old sail that I got with my '69 Sunfish. The sail has holes and tears but is probably functional. It is green and white and is likely the original sail for this boat. I thought it might be interesting to post.

Attachments

• IMG_20230708_153041.jpg
    IMG_20230708_153041.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 52
Ratsey & Lapthorn, which I believe (?) was originally an English sailmaker, produced factory issued Sunfish sails back in the day. Although they were well built, not many have survived. I see one every now and then when picking damaged-beyond-repair hulls for parts.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Ratsey & Lapthorn, which I believe (?) was originally an English sailmaker, produced factory issued Sunfish sails back in the day. Although they were well built, not many have survived. I see one every now and then when picking damaged-beyond-repair hulls for parts.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY
This sail is old and has a few holes in it. There's no way I would throw it away. I will keep it and maybe repurpose it.

I have a soft spot for the old Ratsey Lapthorn sails. I’ve got a few of them stowed away, most notably the blue/yellow one still in an unopened package! I posted about it a while back, asking if I should use it or keep it in its packaging. With mixed reviews I tucked it away safely, for now.

Norcalsail, if the holes in your sail are fairly small ones and you want to customize that old sail just tell me how many holes you’ve got and I’ll send you some hand-cut little Sunfish!

I have a soft spot for the old Ratsey Lapthorn sails. I’ve got a few of them stowed away, most notably the blue/yellow one still in an unopened package! I posted about it a while back, asking if I should use it or keep it in its packaging. With mixed reviews I tucked it away safely, for now.

Norcalsail, if the holes in your sail are fairly small ones and you want to customize that old sail just tell me how many holes you’ve got and I’ll send you some hand-cut little Sunfish!
Wow, Breeze Bender, that's a great offer. I'll take a

Wow, Breeze Bender, that's a great offer. I'll take a look at it and see what it needs. It has a very soft feel to it. Rick and I finished the patch and gel coat work. I have a few small places in the cockpit that I am going to fix with Marine Tex. Then, I am going to buff out the deck and wax it, put the new Intensity practice race sail on it and go sailing! I'll post pictures of the final product. Thanks Breeze!

A white one or the red, white and blue one?

- Andy
The Intensity practice race sail comes with a window and is all white. It will look good with my green deck Sunfish with the white stripes in front and the white splash guard and cockpit. I want to bring it back to California, but that isn't really practical as I have my Califish out there. I will post photos, though!

Attachments

• 20190731_102628.jpg
    20190731_102628.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37

Back