old (Pre 1972) tiller/pin question

Queto56

I have looked through the forum and can't find a thread that addresses this. If I missed it, I apologize.

I just inherited a nice, 1971 sunfish and trailer. Belonged to the sailing club. Everything in good shape including the hull and sails. It still has the old bronze tiller attachment mechanism. The pin (and chain) that is about 2" long that keeps the tiller in place is missing. I assume I can just throw and old nut and bolt in there. I really don't want to replace the entire assembly as this is just an occasional fun boat.

Anyone have good/bad results or suggestions before I go out to the hardware store to get a nut and bolt?

Thanks

A true Sunfish rudder attachment "toggle pin" and retaining chain cost up to $50 if you can find them - they are somewhat rare. Go to any good hardware store and buy a 1/4" diameter stainless steel hex bolt of the proper length and a nylon nut. This will work fine and the nylon nut will not come off easily. total cost under $3.

Alan Glos
Caazenovia, NY

A true Sunfish rudder attachment "toggle pin" and retaining chain cost up to $50 if you can find them - they are somewhat rare. Go to any good hardware store and buy a 1/4" diameter stainless steel hex bolt of the proper length and a nylon nut. This will work fine and the nylon nut will not come off easily. total cust under $3.

Alan Glos
Caazenovia, NY

Thanks.......and while we are at it.....it seems from some posts I have read, that the 1971 boat tends to crack, especially while trailering. I don't plan to travel much, but would like to occasionally take it a couple of hours away to a lake. Any truth to this cracking problem, and anyway around it?

thanks again....

Mike
Lafayette, IN

Mike,

To the contrary, the pre-1972 hulls were pretty sturdy. The newer boats have less fiberglass in them
and the decks tend to develop some gelcoat cracks. As long as the hull is well supported on the trailer, it should trail fine with no damage.

Alan Glos

Back