Old or New Silva Compass?

I see that the newer Silva 103 series compasses have two holes drilled through them to accomodate the control lines. Since I have the new rigging package should I stay away from an older unit with only the one hole through the center? Or, will that one hole accomodate both lines, and will the angle of the lines be ok? Thoughts? experiences?

My hunch is:

The old single hole compass would work fine for a while. Then the lines would begin to wear on the plastic. The results of that wearing would probably be bad.
1. Abrasion on the line would make it fat and fuzzy
2. The worn groove would eventually be a constriction point

and if the line is fuzzy??

I just don't like the possibilities.

having said all that:

Charlie Smythe left Texas for the west coast and to chase 49er regattas a few months ago. He plopped a Silva compass on myshelf and suggested I sell it and send him some money.
It has one hole. I would make extra holes or expand the single hole and ship the compass to someone if the offer is reasonable.

I have no idea how much $ is right but the compass seems as new. I just found it on line for 119 lbs

I cross the cunningham and outhaul before passing them through that single small hole in my old compass. It helps to reduce the friction, but the outhaul is harder to adjust now, so it is not a complete solution. Soon I'll be getting ye old drill out to make two new holes.

Back