Old colours??

gmlogan

Hi
I'm trying to get a reasonable gel coat match for an old hull 125747 (1986).

It looks white, my wide says crean/magnolia (and she is by definition always right!) but I am assured that at this age its 'Dawn Grey' (UK colours) by an old laser centre employee.

Any ideas? I am testing Dawn Grey but it looks very grey!

gmlogan said:
Hi
I'm trying to get a reasonable gel coat match for an old hull 125747 (1986).

It looks white, my wide says crean/magnolia (and she is by definition always right!) but I am assured that at this age its 'Dawn Grey' (UK colours) by an old laser centre employee.

Any ideas? I am testing Dawn Grey but it looks very grey!

I hope that's a mispelling for your "wife" and not an editorial comment on her shape! You bet by definition wives are always right, but don't let her see how you spell. :)

Is it the deck or the bottom of the hull that you are matching? The deck is often gray. Older boats also will yellow a bit, so even if the original color was gray, it could have shifted color. You may have to custom mix the color.

Yes, simply mis-spelling! She is certainly not wide, seeing in her youth she sailed a full rig laser at 110lbs (50kgs).

Rumours that the board had 'place feet here' are completelt true!

Its the deck, the usual chips on the roll of the gunnel, and a few mast drops in the non slip area behind the dagger board.

Hi GM

Not sure who is doing the matching but speak to Adrian at Glassfibre solutions, he did similar work to my boat of the same vintage (I think it was also dove grey, or perhaps vela grey) and you cannot tell where he repaired. If yopu are doing it yourself he should at least point you in the right direction.

Back