Novice Perceptions of Sailing Lasers

mpickering

All,

I'm a novice Laser sailor. I, probably foolishly, opted to jump in with both feet in getting used to my Laser by frostibiting it. The first time I took the boat out was in November and here I am racing it in the dead of winter. Fortunately Maryland winters are somewhat milder than Maine so I'm not dodging icebergs in the harbor.

I do know my limits. I don't have the experience with the boat yet to comfortably sail her in 20+ knots of wind in freezing temperatures. I've stayed home in those conditions and gone out in light to medium winds.

The first time out had a simple goal: don't drown and get around the marks. Six races and I did that. I wouldn't call it racing. More like chasing across half the course. When the other boat were approaching the leeward mark, I'm just reaching the windward mark. But you have to start somewhere. Despite seeing transoms in the distance, I'm still smiling and happy to be under sail.

Alas, I only got credit for one race out of the six. At least I got onto the board. Learned my first lesson: Cross the line on the RIGHT side of the committee boat.

The second series of races last week were some of the best sailing of my life in my admittedly short "career" of sailing. Winds were forecast for 6 knots going calm in the afternoon. As a result, only 10 Standards and 3 Radials came out. And we had a ball!

Winds were variable, occasionally going to nothing so the first race found us chasing every ripple on the water. And I sailed just as I had before with the fleet half-a-course away. But I at least crossed on the right side of the line!

Then something clicked.

The winds picked up. Still light with a few gusts but enough for some sailing. I tend to hang back a bit at the starting line since I am not comfortable yet with the rules and starting etiquette but try to stick to an empty end of the line or right behind the fleet. Unlike my previous races, I found myself keeping up with the fleet. My tacks are still ugly but I'm starting to figure out the gymnastics involved. Still rounding the marks last but I was only a few boat lengths behind. The RC boat asked what I was doing and I shrugged my shoulders. I think I figured out what the kicker was for and was using it correctly upwind and I was sailing downwind more like the rest of the fleet.

Race 3 was a repeat of race 2 with me being closer.

Race 4, the final one, I'm still on air about. Right with the tail end of the fleet off the start and I decided to tack upwind in the center. The fleet had split three ways looking for better lines and wind. Since the puffs seemed to be rolling down the center I stuck with that and worked towards the mark. I caught a great puff that actually allowed me to hike full out. So imagine my surprise at finding myself approaching the mark not behind but right in the middle of the fleet. Alas, I misjudged my turn for the layline and lost the distance I gained. But I still rounded the mark with a lot of speed and came nicely into the downwind leg.

I held with the fleet and like upwind, the fleet split. Some jibed off while the rest of us made a straight run for the mark. I've learned the art of sail out, board up and sit really still while hanging onto the board to heel the boat over. I understand what they talk about with death rolls as she's really tippy in that position.

As the fleet approached the leeward mark I was in the tail end but this time I was well ahead of one boat. For this race my goal was to beat this boat around the mark and to the line. To not be last. I had an easy five boat lengths on him as we closed the mark. He was one of the boats that had gone off on their own. So I bore off and starting to set up on the reach to the mark. I made the turn and starting to sheet in...

And the mainsheet stopped.

With sail luffing, I look down and here's the mainsheet wrapped around the block. Frantically, I work to get it off. By the time I do I've snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. The other boat had rounded and was worked upwind to the line. I bring her up and fight for the line. He beat me by two boat lengths. I was so close!

So here I am, the new guy, 38 years old, new to Lasers, in a boat one year younger than I am getting my transom kicked. But I'm grinning the whole time because this is a lot of fun. Yes, we have a lot of serious sailors but we all have to start somewhere. I wonder sometimes if the old hats forget what these small things feel like when they're new to someone like me?

For example, I LOVE the rush of hiking out on the boat. Your only going a few miles per hour but less than a foot off the water and held in only by your ankles it might as well be strapped into a Formula One race car. I wonder how many sailors who've sailed since they could walk don't even think of that feeling. I just look around while I'm sailing and realize "Hang on, I'm out here sailing! How many people get to experience this?".

I only wish I had discovered dinghy sailing 10 years ago when I first discovered sailing in general. I sail my C-27 to relax. I sail my Laser for fun. And the Laser sailors have been very welcoming.

I am so looking forward to the warmer weather so I can get out of the dry suit and the neoprene gloves and really push the boat. Then maybe I can actually be second-last for a change!

Matt

Matt,

Congrats and thanks for sharing, sounds like you are getting the hang of it, setting realistic goals and most importantly, having fun doing it.. Wishing you continued success

That was a great story, Bud! Really enjoyed it.

We sail 50 miles south of you, not racing yet, in Solomons...

Matt:

I found your post particularly interesting because my own experience is very similar. I also just started Laser sailing this winter. So far, I have made it to three of the PRSA frostbite races on the Potomac. I generally find myself way behind the fleet just like you. This past Sunday, I had one good race where I actually got a decent start, and then maintained a mid-fleet position past the first windward mark and down to the leeward mark. At that point, I made the same error you described in your post: as I rounded the leeward mark, I got my mainsheet hopelessly tangled up in its block, and fell far behind the rest of the fleet as I struggled to untangle it. Oh well. Perhaps I will see you on the river sometime.

Jeff

Matt,

It sounds like I will be joining you at the back of the fleet this spring/summer as long as my beater project boat continues to come together in the backyard.

Your post is encouraging, I also have been sailing on bigger boats for about 10 yrs. and am looking forward to doing some dinghy racing on my own.

Jake

Back