Noob with questions

Grump

Hello all. I have a 1974 Sunfish and a lot of questions. Last time she was in the water was about 16 or 17 years ago. I have a good size hole to repair on the starboard side. I'll start with two questions. First of all, the sail I have is large. It requires a 3' extension on the upper boom. Is that bad? Also, I noticed that the mast sits about 1 1/2" higher than it should. The sail is a Sears Jet Wind by Neil Pryde LTD, Hong Kong. Thank you for reading and thank you in advance for your help. I apologise for using any incorrect terms. It's been a long time.

I'll start with two questions.
First of all, the sail I have is large. It requires a 3' extension on the upper boom... The sail is a Sears Jet Wind... [aka Snark Mach II]. Is that bad?
The Jetwind Manual lists that sail at 82 sq ft as opposed to the Sunfish's stock size of 75 sq ft.

That could make your boat a little turbo charged if there's commensurate draft (3rd dimensional air foil curvature) to take advantage of the larger size. Sailing it will tell more than speculation will.

Also, I noticed that the mast sits about 1 1/2" higher than it should.
By this do you mean the mast is 1-1/2" longer or it won't sit down in the mast step the last 1-1/2"?

It won't sit down. The tube is clear. The mast has a sticker indicating where it should meet the deck. Also there is a wear line around the mast at what used to be deck level. Thanks for the help.

It won't sit down. The tube is clear. The mast has a sticker indicating where it should meet the deck. Also there is a wear line around the mast at what used to be deck level. Thanks for the help.
Might this mast also be off the Jetwind and you are seeing markings for that boat, not this one? A pencil mark on the mast and a quick measure with a ruler will show you if it's seating properly on the Sunfish.

"Turbo Fish". Yeah. Well I am watching a few sails on ebay. In the mean time I am cleaning it up and patching the hole. Thanks again. Will post pics as soon as I figure out how. Computers and I don't get along so well.:D

Back