NJ DMV Title & Registration

javelin524

I just recently restored a late '60s Sunfish that was given to me. I have been researching whether or not it needs to be titled and registered in NJ, but have only found vague answers - especially from the department of motor vehicles. NJ State requires any boat over 12' feet to be registered with the exception of kayaks, canoes, racing shells and dingies- used only for transportation to and from another boat. The boat has no markings, so I fear it would be extremely difficult to get it titled and registered without them or a bill of sale. Any thoughts?

A quick Google for "NJ Boat Registration" found this for you - http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/VehicleBoats.htm

Your situation is common so rather than casting you adrift in the Atlantic as navis non-grata the state MVC appears to allow you to write your own statement that the boat is truly yours.
[ ] A certificate of ownership by sworn affidavit (before a New Jersey notary public)

You could get a statement from your benefactor that would function as a Bill of Sale. "I Joe gave Bob a boat for $1" blah blah blah.

As far as an ID number goes, most states will issue you one if none exist. Not to be confused with the boating registration number you display on the bow.

Thanks for the info.

For anyone needing this info in the future - to get a hull id number in NJ you need to contact the NJ state police marine division and have a HIN investigation done at one of thier stations. They also need a notarized letter stating where you got the boat from. With the HIN, the boat can then be titled and registered by the DMV. Hopefully....

Back