Night sailing

grrladventure

Does anyone have any experience with sailing a laser at night?

One of the things I enjoy doing in the summer is just taking the boat out for a spin after work. With winter darkness here, that's made me ask "why not do it at night"? There are frequently some nice breezes in the evening, lots of ambient light from the nearby city, and it's temperate enough where I live. I figured I could use one of those battery operated "emergency" running lights - and of course a call to a friend, so someone knows I'm out there.

BAD idea. Boats cant see you, you cant see boats, and its kinda eire. Also, You coud hit something that you would see at day, but not at night.

Depending on the particular waterway it might not be such a bad idea -- the rules of the road only require a boat as small as a Laser to display a light on the sail in sufficient time to avoid a collision so a bright waterproof flashlight could be the bare minimum. If your sailing area isn't where there are lots of fast moving power boats or commercial shipping it might be fine. In addition to the bright waterproof flashlight you might want to wear a loud whistle around your neck just in case you need to attract attention to yourself.

If you know the waterway well enough and you're comfortable with being able to avoid hazards and see other boats in time then, I say go for it. My only other suggestion would be to try to recruit a Laser sailing friend to join you since it would probably make it more fun, be a little safer, and make the rigging and de-rigging in the dark go a little easier. And you have someone to join you for a post-sail drink!

Find one of those small LED lights, one in red and one in green and I think if you know the waters and had a friend with you, give it a try.

I sailed my Laser at night in a 24 hour endurance race. We used glow sticks on our boats, and also carried flashlights to illuminate our sails if a powerboat approached. We also have an annual moonlight sail at our club. There's usually little wind where we are at night, so it's very quiet. We sail on a reservoir in a no wake zone, but I've also sailed on a Thistle on Lake Erie at night with a lot of pleasure boat traffic around. Just be sure to have proper lighting for your area, and a flashlight, and a whistle to call attention to yourself.

Sailing at night is fun, cool, and yeah, a little bit eerie.

all great comments .. every year we have the mayday regatta .. has been a while since i have been up there but we used to have the Twilight and frostbight races....

I believe .. In Australia anyway .. that you are required only to illuminate the sail or boat in a way that it is visible from a set distance in all directions .... the extra port and starboard light will help the other vessel know which direction you are travelling ...

Here is what I've found on regulations:

All vessels should use proper navigation lights. However, non-powered vessels, such as canoes, kayaks, rowboats, and sailboats under 7 meters in length are not required to have lights installed, and may use a flashlight for navigation. The light does not have to be turned on at all times, but should be turned on in time to avoid a collision. (Rule 25)

I've also thought that I could tie a small strobe to the top of the mast (I have one that I wear for emergencies on my life vest when I race "big boats" at night), for added visiblity (and should also have another handy on my own life vest).

Here is what I've found on regulations:

All vessels should use proper navigation lights. However, non-powered vessels, such as canoes, kayaks, rowboats, and sailboats under 7 meters in length are not required to have lights installed, and may use a flashlight for navigation. The light does not have to be turned on at all times, but should be turned on in time to avoid a collision. (Rule 25)

I've also thought that I could tie a small strobe to the top of the mast (I have one that I wear for emergencies on my life vest when I race "big boats" at night), for added visiblity (and should also have another handy on my own life vest).

The problem with getting creative with your strobe on the mast is that it will confuse other boaters as to what kind of vessel you are. Also, with a flashing light, might someone think you are in distress? Can the strobe be set to be just on and not flash? Just some thoughts.

Depending on where you are sailing, a flashing light could be mistaken for a navigation buoy or something else (i.e. by boats navigating in the area). I don't know is people outside the UK are familiar with the activities of the "wreckers" from the north Cornish coast (in the UK) - not these days but in historic times. They used to put out false lights, which would then cause cargo vessels to mis-estimate their distance from land, come closer ashore and "crash" - they were wrecks and the baddies stole the cargo. Risk of similar when displaying false navigation lights ?

From memory (which may be wrong) an all round flashing light (yellow) would make you a hovercraft !!

Ian

Another thought. If you intend to do it regularly then it might be worth getting some battery powered nav lights (combined one on bow fitted to bow eye and single for transom, maybe fitted to rudder ?). Not worth it for trying it a few times, but, when you switch on the torch you will destroy any decent night vision you have built-up. Switch it on and the night vision will gradually return and then you switch the torch on again and lose it all, etc. Thus most of the time you will be sailing without much vision.

Ian

just a big torch aimed onto the sail will be more than enough for other boats to know you are a sailboat ... and they won;t hit you ...

when you shine the sail .. both sides will light up.... giving the light an omnidirectional outcome... that is all you need.

the red and green lights are not necessary... nor are they a legal requirement.

just a big torch aimed onto the sail will be more than enough for other boats to know you are a sailboat ... and they won;t hit you ...

when you shine the sail .. both sides will light up.... giving the light an omnidirectional outcome... that is all you need.

the red and green lights are not necessary... nor are they a legal requirement.

But the light (torch) on the sail will destroy your own night vision - major impact (given that after using the torch you would probably not be able to see your own bow, let alone the other boat.

As for light on a sailing vessel being "legal" - the rules apply to sailing vessels under 7m as well. It is just that there is an exemption for yachts if "it is not practical". You would then be down to debates as two what is and is not practical. Availability of battery powered lights (etc.) might swing the balance in favour of an officious harbour official.

Ian

well when we sail at night ... admitedly on a very large lake ... we just take a torch .. you can see the sail for miles .... and night vision ... well ... does not seem to be a problem...just dont stare right at the light...

If you're worried about night vision then simply shut one eye before you turn on the light and keep it shut until you turn the light off. But since the first post mentioned there is a lot of background light keeping your night vision probably isn't going to be a huge issue.

If you have enough light to make night vision unnecessary then you have plenty of light to see and be seen by anyway. If you do the "close one eye" trick remember that you will lose depth perception for at least 10 mins (after losing "night vision" you will generally get only 10% back after 10 mins.). You will get 80% back after 30-45 mins.

(One of my other hobbies is astronomy and I've done a lot of night sailing far from land and lights and night vision after more than an hour is really impressive and dramatic).

Ian

Bump to an old post (figured there was no need to create a new one)... Sailing at night is AWESOME. I haven't done it in the Laser yet but I'm looking forward to it - if I can figure out a place to do it (the park I've been going to closes at dark and they'll lock the gate on you!)

I do this infrequently, and used the glowsticks... I didnt have exactly the right colors, but I'm on a private lake... anyone who sees a light on the water at night will likely come alongside and offer a beer, sandwich, show you one of the fish they just caught etc...

The coolest thing about night sailing is that when there is wind it's usually more steady than the daytime, so you can typically kick back, cleat the main and have a nice, mellow sail.

I did two glowsticks on a string run through the bow eye, and a single glowstick tied with string to the little bit of 'webbing' at the top of the sail.

The hardest part is actually navigating your way back to where you launched from...

If you're worried about night vision then simply shut one eye before you turn on the light and keep it shut until you turn the light off. But since the first post mentioned there is a lot of background light keeping your night vision probably isn't going to be a huge issue.

Close both eyes when shining torch!

Retaining night vision in one eye when the other is night-blind is next to no help at all. Retain night vision in both eyes!

Back