Newbie questions

rmruais

I've noticed that there has been a bit of discussion on questions that could easily be answered by searching the forum or other sites. I know I've posted a couple and it happens all the time. Let's make our best effort to be friendly, patient and helpful to newcomers and try to point them in the right direction without slamming them for asking a question...they are just excited about finding the forum and people to talk to about Laser sailing.

where is this slamming going on? You mean the emoticon of the dead horse being flogged? I thought that was funny. :D

Giving people a break is a two-way street.

I'm sure there is a FAQ here that tells newbies to use the search engine first. Not every newbie is unable to read. I spent a week going through some threads for the info I was interested in before posting.

Newbies can post anything they like too. They don't have to come hat in hand begging for laser help.

So newbies, if you come here looking for answers and don't want to search threads, the biggest request I think people here have of you is be specific.

I haven't seen a newbie post an introductory thread for a long time. Why not post a bit about how and where you sail and let it run?

Ok...I think I interpreted the recent thread about where to find information as bit unfriendly. There were a few quick comments in that thread (or other recent threads)..i.e. that question's been answered many times, and there are books you know, etc. On re-read it seems to be a friendly, jovial exchange and...I looked through a few more posts and found many kind responses to all kinds of questions. Sorry I jumped to conclusions....but first impressions do count for something! It has been a while since I've been to the Laser Forum...and it seems to have improved significantly.

Back