Newbie Question Sailor's Weight

James W.

I'm about 260 lbs. and on light wind days I have to sit on the middle aft
deck (at the middle back of the cockpit) to balance. Has anyone just shortened
(sawed off) part of a wooden tiller to use on non-racing fun days so it's easy to
sit in the middle and steer ? Otherwise it's impossible to sit in the middle
because the tiller is too long. Sitting in the cockpit is way too uncomfortable
for any extended amount of time.

Thanks
James

Upwind on light days usually, sitting on the leeward side to keep shape in the sail and as far forwards as possible. Downwind a shock cord holding the sail out usually sitting on the windward side as far forwards as possible. My boat is set up for racing so the sail in low. Also have a long tiller extension when sitting as far forwards as that is the widest part of the boat. Seating position varies with wind, waves, sail height, gooseneck position and how the water is flowing off the back of the boat.

Upwind on light days usually, sitting on the leeward side to keep shape in the sail and as far forwards as possible.
I second the "sit far forward" advice. The boat is quite narrow towards the stern, and widest around the daggerboard, so the best spot to sit is where the boat is widest, so the front of the cockpit on the leeward side is the best spot. If you are at the back, you are sinking the stern and causing it to drag.

Back