New & Used Laser Prices/Australia

Turin Gray

I am moving to Australia this year. Can someone advise me on new and used Laser prices. I am trying to decide if I should sell my boats in Canada and replace in Aus vs shipping them with my household contents.

Thanks

JAG

Where will you be living?

You can search some prices from this Sydney shop, http://www.sailingscene.com.au. Most have been trade ins on new boats. You can get them cheaper privately but there arent many. You can find new prices there also. All prices are AUS$s.

Full Laser and Radial new prices are aus$7700 inc turbo pack

Here are some from this newspaper http://www.tradingpost.com.au

Laser No: 123338, 2 Sails plus brand new Bay Mariine galvanised trailer & beach dolly. Excellent to sail., EC $2700 (03)97723012 (0410)346385 Bonbeach MoreSouth/SEVIC$2,700

Laser Radial 140 serries, very good condition, foils as new, inside storage, beach dolly, $2095 ono CONNELLS POINT 02-9546 3832 MoreSouth SubsNSW$2,095

Laser 128527 Good beginners boat, good full and radial rigs, 3 sails, all fittings, beaching dolly and custom registered road trailer, has won club races, , Very Good Condition $1500 negotiable... MoreInner CitySA$1,500
Negotiable

If you're getting your own shipping container, 1 laser takes up a relatively
small percentage of the volume. I did a similar move about 4 years ago,
and my boat was cocooned in some padded wrapping material and put on
its gunwhale on one side of the container. It was also tied to hooks to stop it
from moving around.

There wasn't room for the trailer so I sold that and bought a new one
when I got to Australia.

- Peter

JAG,

As well as the sites 168664 mentioned. You can also try www.ayf.com.au look under boat yard classifieds. I bought my Laser from an ad on this site 4 months ago.

George

Thanks all for the information. The prices look resonable for used boats. Mine are a little tired and need replacing. Space will determine if we bring the boats!

We will be in Melbourne if everthing comes together as planned. My wife likes the sound of Frankston. I will be in the CBD. Can you recommend a club with a good junior program for the kids, a strong racing fleet and a bar for Dad to soak aching muscles.

My Priorities are: 1. Secure Job 2. Find Sailing Club 3.Find House near club!

Regards,

JAG

If you are going to live in Frankston you will vbe a good 1hr away from downtown. Some parts are ok, but it has a reputataion as an ordinary region. slightly up the bay is much nicer. Contact me if you want more information.
As for clubs, McCrae, on the southern part of the Mornington Peninsula is a great club, and especially for lasers and familes. It has a long tradition in coaching and sail training for juniors. I think it has the best race mangement on the bay and has hosted many National and World titles. I'm sure you'll enjoy Melbourne. It's a great place to sail.

Back