new toestrap: what to buy?

mirkodeboer

My toestrap is worn out. So I would like to buy a new one.
Anyone suggestions what to buy?
Is the kiwi style padded toestrap from Rooster a good option?

Rooster claims that its strap works well if you want to make it adjustable. Is that true?
And what about the other hiking straps?

I have one of these on mine:

http://www.cygnus-sails.com/item-Laser_1_Superstick.html

It is a great strap but make sure your boots come up high enough otherwise you will take skin off using it (I did the first time I sailed with it...).

It is very good, I just have a 'normal' set of wetboot with a rubber bit on the top of them and I always feel secure, much more so than the standard rooster job that was fitted when I bought the boat.

As mentioned by Eric, any toe strap must only contain one loop. During measurement at the Terrigal Worlds, we cut the some stitching on a straps being supplied by PSA at the time because 4 stiches in the middle of the loop formed effectively a second loop. Similarly Zhik had something similar similar to the Intensity one, this second loop was cut off, they have subsequently altered their straps. It doesn't matter if the loop is used or not, it's not permitted to be there.

Thanks for the clarification Alan. Cygnus have changed theirs since I purchased mine looking at the picture so I will take some scissors to mine as I am sure it has a secondary loop on it!

My new toestrap (not yet installed) has one of those extra loops on top. Before I cut it off, just want to confirm that the mainsheet tail can't be attached to that loop. I could not find anything about the loops on the strap. As is often the case with rules, it is the interpretation that is often unclear. I'm a relative newcomer to the Laser (one month), and I don't have a many other Lasers locally to compare mine to, so need some guidance. Thanks all.

Mainsheet Rule says: The tail of the mainsheet may also be knotted or tied to either the base of the mainsheet block, the hiking strap, the hiking strap support line, or the hiking strap shock cord.

The Hiking strap rule says:

HIKING STRAP
(a) The hiking strap may be substituted with any type
of non-stretch material and it may be padded.

(b) The hiking strap may be fixed to the cockpit at
the forward end by wrapping the strap around the
mainsheet block plastic pressure plate or by using
both the centreboard friction attachment plate and
the mainsheet block plastic pressure plate.

(c) The hiking strap supporting line between the
aft end of the hiking strap and the eye straps
on the aft face of the cockpit may be rigged in
any manner so that the hiking strap is fixed or
adjustable.

(d) A shock cord may be attached between the aft
end of the hiking strap and to either the traveller
cleat, or the hiking strap eye straps at the aft end
of the cockpit.

I agree it is a bit ambiguous however what you need to remember is that unless the rules specifically allow you to do or have something then you cannot.

The rules do not state that you can have a second loop at the back therefore you cannot.

That and AlanD is our friendly resident measurer, if he says it wouldn;t measure/pass inspection then it will not. If he is unsure he has always qaulfied his statements with 'my interpretation' or he says he would need to see it in the flesh so in this case it is clear cut.

Welcome to Laser sailing and it's quirks......

I agree it is a bit ambiguous however what you need to remember is that unless the rules specifically allow you to do or have something then you cannot.

The rules do not state that you can have a second loop at the back therefore you cannot.

That and AlanD is our friendly resident measurer, if he says it wouldn;t measure/pass inspection then it will not. If he is unsure he has always qaulfied his statements with 'my interpretation' or he says he would need to see it in the flesh so in this case it is clear cut.

Welcome to Laser sailing and it's quirks......

Thanks for that Jeffers. I don't have any issues with it at all. That's how one design works. Believe me, other classes get much quirkier! Where things do get a bit crazy in my opinion is when it's not about the boat at all. For example it's hard to find a legal and satisfactory way to attach a water bottle. Good solutions like the bottle port get squashed, so that we're more at risk of dehydration at the expense of a little common sense.

Thanks for that Jeffers. I don't have any issues with it at all. That's how one design works. Believe me, other classes get much quirkier! Where things do get a bit crazy in my opinion is when it's not about the boat at all. For example it's hard to find a legal and satisfactory way to attach a water bottle. Good solutions like the bottle port get squashed, so that we're more at risk of dehydration at the expense of a little common sense.

What is required here, I believe, is for the class membership to petition the technical committee to make them legal. This is a small change I believe but would need to go through the channels. As it is not a performance enhancing part it may go through with very little problems. The problem will be getting to the point where a vote can be made.

Other things have got through recently like the introduction of stainless steel springs on the bailer so if the people who want them go through the right channels then it may happen......

As Jeffers said, if you want to make something legal, contact the technical committee and if they see merits, it will be taken to the vote. But sitting on your hands, complaining on a forum that something hasn't occurred isn't going to make it occur (general comment not directed at anyone specifically).

While I also don't like the wording, the current and previous World Measurers have said only one loop permitted.

As Jeffers said, if you want to make something legal, contact the technical committee and if they see merits, it will be taken to the vote. But sitting your hands, complaining on a forum that something hasn't occurred isn't going to make it occur (general comment not directed at anyone specifically).

While I also don't like the wording, but in this case the current and previous world measurers have said only one loop permitted.

Done! I'll keep you posted on developments :)

Back