New to Lasers...General Weight Question...

AquaDave

OK...here's the deal.
I'm looking at buying a laser because they seem to be the popular standard in racing in my area (Saginaw Bay, Traverse Bay)

I have sailed several small boats (not competitively) such as Butterflies and Sunfish (Single Rigs) and I'm looking into getting into a little competition...

I know that there are several types mentioned in this forum.

I am a stocky guy with good upper body strength (235lbs, or 105K) What setup would suit my weight?

I'm looking to spend around 2500 USD for a decent newer (within 15 years).
Any recommendations?
I've heard that Radial gives you the best performance, but my heavier weight concerns me with that rig. :eek:

well you would DEFINATELY go full rig, if you have a lot of upper strength you may want to consider a Finn, normally their fleets aren't as big but they are made for a bigger guy like yourself.

If you want to sail a laser, I would recomend the full rig. But lasers are not for everyone, mabe you should see what else there is at your club. I know around your area the interlake is really big. Those boats like a heavy skipper. I learnd my lesson during the interlake nationals.

Thanks guys,
I'm a multi sheet sailor myself, and like the option of putting up more if I need it.
There are a couple of full riggers at the club and I might ask them to let me take one out or take me out for a spin.
I do like the interlake option...not many of those up here...they are more towards OH.

Thanks again for the tips.

How windy is it when you would normally be racing? Are you looking to drop some weight? The extra weight will help you intially feel confident in the boat while your hiking skills are developing and if you are carying some "unwanted baggage" after a season sailing a Laser you will drop some kg's.
Several people I sail with weigh over 100kgs, they do very well upwind in a breeze, usually just sitting on the gunnel while the rest of us hike our legs off.
A radial would not be the right rig for you.
Darryn

Back