New to Laser sailing

per_nulla

Hi folks,

This will be my first Laser post. I'm going to tell about my second ever sail by myself last Tuesday on Whiskeytown Lake here in Northern California. Any advice and/or input is welcome.

My first sail from the week prior was 4 to 5mph on the lake with no gusts and plenty of dead spots. It was an easy, boringly uneventful sail which allowed basic practice on sailing.
Last Tuesday (09/12/16) The wunderground site forecast 10 mph winds. The excitement was running through my veins. Well, on the beach the wind blew the boat over twice when trying to connect the tack of the sail to the boom. After some assistance from the Laser guy at the club I was able to get going. Even through it was blowing pretty good I soon found out most of the wind was blocked (is there a nautical term for that?) by the mountains. Once I got in the center of the lake the fun began. It felt like I was in a whirlwind coming from every direction. I lost count how many times I almost capsized. I was on the lake for 69 minutes and I was busy the entire time. When I got back to the beach I was informed the wind was 15mph with 20 mph gusts.

My cheap DBX shortie wet suit did it's job and I never got that initial cold water shock. My cheap neoprene booties protect my feet nicely while I was constantly moving around on the boat. I knew to consider knee pads in a full length wet suit, but only to prevent premature wear, but it didn't occur to me to have them to prevent premature skin wear on my knees. Which ended up being a bit raw by the end.

Overall it was a great, eye opening experience. I hope to sail 2 to 3 times a week until I get good enough to possibly train for Laser racing. So, I'd really appreciate links to post/websites on Laser racing, training etc.

That's mountain sailing for ya... I live in Colorado now, but sailed the Whiskeytown Regatta many times in the 70's and 80's in Lido's and 505's. No substitute for seat time! I think Dick Tillman's Complete Book of Laser sailing is really good; cheap on ebay. Have fun!

Back