New to forum, new to Lasers, hi and help please!

Al Black

Hi everybody, new to the forum (been lurking and browsing for a while) and new to Lasers: virtual beer and pizza all round! :)

I live in Gourock on the west coast of Scotland, most of my sailing so far has been in yachts, but I've just bought myself a Laser, figured it's time I learned to sail properly!

It's fairly old (sail number 87 thousand and something) and in need of a bit of TLC. I'm hoping that the TLF collective can point me in the right direction.

I paid silly money for the Laser (basically I paid for a launching trolley and the boat came free!), the biggest issue is a crack in the floor of the cockpit. The crack is about 12" long and the previous owner had tried to patch it with a bit of fibreglass 15"x3" which he held down with black silicone sealant. Needless to say it wasn't very effective!

Any thoughts on how to repair the cockpit floor effectively will be much appreciated and will be rewarded with more virtual beer/wine/pizza (ok, virtual beer is tasteless, but at least you don't get a hangover!).

Cheers,

Al.

Welcome.

If you can get a pic or two posted here, you'll get pretty specific advice, but in general, there are two ways to approach cracks in the cockpit -if you aren't too concerned with how it looks when it's done, sand 1" wide on both sides of the crack (just rough up the gelcoat), and put down a layer or two of mat/polyester resin.

If you are looking for "professional" results, it's still the same method, but you need to grind /sand more of the gelcoat and into the original 'glass, apply the new mat/resin, fill and fair and then paint or gelcoat on top.

Back