New Sunfish Owner: Daggerboard and telltales questions

bhufham

Dr Bill
:) Just bought one of the 2006 World Championship boats. Learning about rigging the Jens and Cunningham. Postings have helped. Still getting the feel for how much board is need when running, reaching. I've been a windsurfer for 20+ yrs, have one board with and one w/o daggerboard. Also, question about where to put telltales on sail. On windsurfer I just put a streamer on the top of the mast and set the sail by feel. Thanks. B. Hufham

When you are running you can pull it most-all the way up, but its a good idea to have some in the water, otherwise you can get a weird feeling on the helm. Also if you are in bigger waves, you will want it down more, for stability, and you can pick up speed if the boat rocks a little in the chop with your board down. Usually the telltales are: one is a little above the logo, one halfway between the logo and the top set of numbers, under the fin of the logo, and the third is a little below the bottom set of numbers. You want to try to get them all in a line. If you look through pictures of higher level regattas, most people will probably have telltales to you can see where they go. Hope that helped some.

Steve

Many thanx. I looked at the pixs of Worlds and Nationals and telltales seemed to be in many different places. Got my Sunfish Bible and it explained turbulence problems with the mast and the gaff. I placed my three sets just as you described and they work well.

Decisions about the daggerboard go back to my windsurfing days. No problem with steering by the sail. That's what you do downwind on a windsurfer. I transitioned from a windsurfer with a daggerboard to one without. Big difference, particularly going upwind.

One more question. I've been reading my Sunfish Bible and I read about moving the gooseneck during a race. Is this really done? I have one of the 2006 World Championship boats, so it is set up with the quick release, Cunningham, racing sail, new board and rudder, etc. It seems risky to try to change the placement of the gooseneck in the middle of the race. Any ideas on who this is done?

Unless the wind changes drastically during a race, many set the gooseneck for the winds at the begining for the entire race or change it between races. Closer to the tack for light winds, further back for heavier winds. The SF Bible, The Class home page (FAQs and Tips and Tricks) and Wind Line Sails all have sail tuning articles that will help you figure this out. The best way is to get out there and practice a lot, adjusting the gooseneck back and forth to see how it affects the way you sail, the quick adjust will allow you to do this on the water. During practice, you may want to leave the sail grommet with in the goosneck area unclipped /untied to make things a little easier to adjust. Clip or tie it back up for a race.

Being a pincher rather than a pointer my gooseneck is always farther foward than most anyones. So I have a lot of weather helm going down wind. I learned to adjust it on the water so I get the best of both worlds. Good pinching upwind and a neutral helm downwind.

Recently, I've been leaving my goosneck at around 15" in my normal winds (10-15). If the wind gets strong, I will move it back a little (closer to 17-18). The chart on the class page is a good start, but really you have to play with it yourself, because it depends on a lot of different things, mainly your sailing style as Mike said above. So you just have to go out and play with it.

Steve

Pinching is effectively sailing above the "normal" pointing angle. You do reduce speed but depending on your course/wind direction/competition pinching can gain you "distance on course to next mark"

This is a tough concept to "get". I was criticized while at the helm of a skipper's cruising sailboat for "pinching". Then a month later, I entered a race of Ensign-class sailboats at Coconut Grove Sailing Club, Miami. The five of us took turns at the helm for each of 5 races.

Crossing the finish line as winners, with me at the helm, the highly experienced skipper-in-charge remarked to us, "How'd we beat everybody? We yielded to every entrant while we crossed on port tack!"

"You gotta know when to point...know when to pinch...know when to run..." Oh, wait. I digress.
:)

Back