New style laser vang

AJ182371

I'm having some trouble with my new style laser vang
lasvang6ai.jpg

this block is loosening so that the line gets caught in between the
pulley and the metal peice
making it so i cant pull in the vang while sailing upwind and i cant let it out going downwind is there anyway to fix this by purchasing a better block to use or putting plastic spacers in between the pulley and the metal side peices?

thanks for any help

Try using a stiffer, rounder line through the block. I know some of the vangs were supplied with a spectra line that flattened very easily, making it slip between the pully and block.

Can't tell from your picture if that is the Harken or XD block, if it's the Harken, what can happen is the vang key slides over to one side at the top of the block and levers the cheeks open enough for the line to slip in between the sheeve and the cheek. What worked for me to stop it was to replace the clevis pin/ring ding with a bolt/nut and a washer on each side of the vang key to keep it centered in the cheeks. If you sail in a lot of hvy air, you might also consider using a second vang key (as a spare) in place of one of the washers.

Funny you should bring it up... had exactly the same problem and just got my replacement block. I like Greg's bolt idea.

Back