New San Diego Owner

seajunkie

Hi,

I just bought a 2002 C14 yesterday. I sold a West Wight Potter 19 on Saturday and bought the C14 on Sunday. My biggest problem is finding the time to get on the water. I've been reading about the TNT on Mission Bay and it peaked my interest. I'm a beginner.

Where do the Mission Bay folks sail from to race? Does anyone have any advice for dry storage? It would be nice to keep it rigged someplace secure, and just plop it in the water. My kids are too young to sail (6mos and 3 yrs) so if I can't get a baby sitter I will most likely be solo.

The boat is nice, it has sail covers, a nice small 4 stroke honda, and galvanized trailer. If dry storage isn't a good option could a San Diegan suggest the best boat launch to use? Does anyone launch from Fiesta Island? I have a Force5 that I launched from the beach and it worked out ok. The C15 might be too heavy for this. Since I'm a Noob, something far away from the Big Yachts would be nice.

I have a lot to learn, but for those who organized this forum, thanks! I've spent some time reading most of the posts and you have a great resource here.

Rich

Welcome to sailing on Mission Bay! To answer your questions:

The last TNT for the season is this Thursday at Mission Bay YC, with a 6:00 pm start. One race, lasting about 45 min to an hour, finishing at the club. If you want to join us for that, or for a Sunday race, post your e-mail address here and I'll get back to you.

MBYC is on the west side of Mission Bay, on El Carmel point. We use a hoist to launch, which means you need to have a sling. But first, if you want to keep your boat at MBYC you have to join the club. Before doing that, you can try sailing with us by trailer-launching "next door" at Santa Clara point and just sail your boat over to MBYC. If you decide to do it this Thursday, come down at least an hour early, sail over, come into the MBYC office, and have me paged.

Ed Jones

Ed, I would have loved to come tonight, but I have a meeting. I am going to try to swing by the MBYC between work and my meeting this evening to scope things out. I will look for you. If you’re not around, that's fine. I would like to see the MBYC and get a feel for the launch area at Santa Clara. I'm probably not ready to "race" the boat anyway, but it would be nice to meet some of the enthusiasts. Feel free to contact me via email anytime.

Rich

[email protected]

I found the Mission Bay Yacht Club on Thursday. I didn't realize that it would be gated. Maybe if I can get out Sunday I'll scope it out from the water.

Mbyc

Yes, MBYC is gated, but if you come by on Sunday, just buzz them and tell them you're my guest and they'll open the gate. I'll be there, so if you come by, either by land or by sea, have me paged.

Thanks Ed,

I went by early this afternoon and spoke with Patricia and then Don who is a Snipe sailor. He showed me around and gave me a schedule of races and other information. I'm going to look some more into it. I like that you can store the boat rigged there. I'm going to try to go out tomorrow for a little while. I'll look you up if I head over that way. Thanks,

Back