New Sail Break-In

bikspk

I have found sparse information on breaking in a new sail on the web. The best discussion was in a thread about some inferior sails from about 5 years ago.

The reason I ask is that the winds have been fierce here (comparatively) for the last couple days and I don't want to screw up my brand spankin' new sail.

The suggestions have been to run on broad reaches for a couple hours with little to no cunningham.

Any suggestions?

iv had the same question. people alwase like new sails because there all crispy but i dont now. in light air and stuff they dont fill as nice as a little more worn sail.

this has been discussed before, i think the best way to break in a sail is by reaching back and forth in 8-12 knots winds with little or no vang/cunningham/outhaul on to evenly break-in the sail (i think GeoffS mentioned this technique in another thread, correct me if im wrong)

what is meant by breaking in is to streach the sail evenly EG. no cunningham so dat it is a even shape not with all da draught @ the bak of the sail but where it should be & all the stiching streaches when u sail with a brand new sail so u dont want a weird shaped sail lol

Back