new ruling on centerboard shock cord

What am I missing? How does passing the shock cord around the bow keep the cord away from the vang fitting?
Hi
If I do not misunderstand you, you only need a small piece rope, knoted as a loop. This loop goes though the eyes at the front XD-basic-plate for the blocks of the Outhaul- and the Cunningham-Controlline (see the red arrow on the photo). The shockcord(s) for the centreboard goes through this loop at port and starbordside, that's it.

Ciao
LooserLu

Attachments

• Christening Ceremony of Laser Manatee May 2006.jpg
    Christening Ceremony of Laser Manatee May 2006.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 188
What am I missing? How does passing the shock cord around the bow keep the cord away from the vang fitting?

Try it, it'll make more sense if you see it in action. Basically instead of coming straight back from the bow fitting, the bungee is redirected around the bow which means it comes from the side slightly on its way to the daggerboard. That's usually enough to keep it away from the vang fitting when your boom is all the way out (ie like on a run).

So then is having the loop like LooserLu described illegal? I have one and haven't been busted, for it.

So then is having the loop like LooserLu described illegal? I have one and haven't been busted, for it.

Probably. But if you make a loop in the mast retaining line you can achieve the same effect, and I have had that arrangement approved by a measurer at the Masters Worlds.

I am quite sure, this loop I use is permitted. I got this idea from a photo of a boat of a pro-Laserite, a couple of years ago. But, I can't remember whose Laser it has been, sorry.
This loop doesn't make the boat faster. It only prevents that the vang-system gets involved by that shockcord.
By the way, I forgot to explaine, that at the bow this shockcord moves free through this bow-eye. At the line, where it is attached to the centreboard, I use that sort of sort of hooks, that are used for the traveler blocks, too.
Ciao
LooserLu

With respect Lou, just because you saw something in a photo and just because it doesn't make the boat faster doesn't necessarily make an extra line legal. The rules are so complicated now that it's hard to know without getting an official ruling by a measurer but I think I'm right in saying that unless the rules specifically say that such a line is allowed then it isn't legal.

Old Geezer said:
With respect Lou, just because you saw something in a photo and just because it doesn't make the boat faster doesn't necessarily make an extra line legal. The rules are so complicated now that it's hard to know without getting an official ruling by a measurer but I think I'm right in saying that unless the rules specifically say that such a line is allowed then it isn't legal.

Old Geezer, the rules does not allow me to interpret the rules in any official way, yes, that's true. Sorry, but neither you, with all respect to you also.
You (or me) may argue "it is forbidden to use 'this or that' at the Laser", only by looking into your rules and see, there is no explanation for 'this or that" how to rig it. Yes, you are true, my argumentation with a photo is a sort of poor. But what would you say, if it is a photo from the "yxz-Laser Worlds" where the boat just has been measured (I can't say it in this case here, sorry)? So,IMHO, your argumentation goes a bit to close here, too.

Only the Chief-Measurer of the ILCA World Council, belonging the class-rules for the Laser, definitely is permitted to say "this is allowed / this is not allowed". This has been discussed several times here in the past.

Looking to the rules in the actual form, "I" can read at the ILCA By-Law 1 / Part three / No. 14 (f). The words there say to me (and only to me), it is permitted "to attach" the shock cord there where I described it, but at least, I am not permitted to say in general (to all of you out there) if 'it is allowed to attach the "Builder Supplied" deck block fitting "with a loop of a line" '.

So, what is permitted now? Hm?? ;)

Cheers
LooserLu

You are right Lu. Neither of us is qualified to rule on this. So I have posted it as a question on the measurers forum. Please feel free to clarify my question if I haven't exactly described what you mean. I hope that this will get us an answer from official measurers that means a lot more than your or my opinion.

Of course I'm not an official measurer but, it seems to me that it is permitted in the new class rules which state:
Rule 7(e)ii to be moved to be part of Rule14 and have the wording modified as follows:-​
A tie line or shock cord shall be attached to the small hole in the upper forward corner of the centreboard, and any of the bow eye, the cunningham fairlead, the “Builder Supplied” deck block fitting and the mast to prevent loss of the centreboard in event of a capsize. The tie line or shock cord may be looped around the bow, but shall not be attached to the gunwale. Attachment can be by knots or loops in the shock cord, and/or tie lines, shackles, clips, hooks or eyes.

You're allowed to use "any of the bow eye, the cunningham fairlead, the “Builder Supplied” deck block fitting and the mast" so combinations of those are permitted which includes using "tie lines" (which is defined as: "A line that exclusively attaches items together is a Tie Line."). Therefore, since you have to have a mast retention line anyway, a simple solution could be to have the centerboard bungee pass through the loop created by the mast retention line (which is a "tie line" attaching the mast to the boat) on its way from the bow fitting to the centerboard. You could also just put a loop of the bungee around the mast instead.

But I don't think that will do the job qute as well as running the bungee around the bow since the vang could still catch on the bungee when gybing with the centerboard raised (because of the angle of the bungee coming from the mast area).

But that's just my opinion. . .​

Instead of a loop as Lu uses, I run my shock cord through the loops of the plate. There is enough room in each loop to run the shock cord, mast retention line and bail of my Harken Bullet Block.

Friction and binding have not been a problem yet.

Hi, everyone.
I tried the bungee around the bow today, and it does a fine job keeping clear of the vang. However, we had a nice 15-20 knot day today, and while surfing downwind, the bungee got pulled under the boat, and ended up underneath the boat, stopping at the leading edge of the board. I kind of thought this might happen, but since I'd seen and heard others do it, I thought I'd give it a try. Fine in light air, but if you can put the bow through a wave, forget about it.

Steve,
I had that same problem happen to me during a very windy
regatta. When the board is lifted up for going downwind the shockcord becomes alittle slack, and wheeewww there goes the shockcord on the first wave you incounter. My guess is most of the guys are using thinner shockcord or pulling it tighter!!! Once this happened to me I switch my shockcord setup to something else.

FYC Laser Fleet
London, Ontario, Canada
www.fyc.on.ca

Back