New Rules and Rules Conversion

Discussion in 'J/24 Talk' started by J/24 Class, Aug 14, 2014.

1. J/24 Class

J/24 Class Moderator Staff Member

Please go to this page www.j24class.org/rules-regulations/class-rules/ and review the “ISAF Rules Conversion for the J/24 Class: Explanation” and the “J/24 ISAF Class Rules Conversion: Document.” The Rules now follow the required ISAF template and format. It has taken many months for Tim Winger, ITC Chair, to complete this conversion. Along the way, there has been extensive input from several individuals with deep experience with the ISAF Rules in other Classes. These rules were then examined by the ITC, Executive Committee and J/Boats, and are now ready for Class member review.

The accompanying “Explanation” document explains the conversion in general and item-by-item changes that go beyond just formatting. Please review the Rules document and let us know your thoughts and opinions on this forum. Comments must be posted prior to September 15.

2. winddog

winddog New Member

Heads up typo in C6
    (c) The corrector weights shall be permanently fastened with bolts through the required bulkheads and sealed with a strap of resonated glass cloth.
    I'm sure you mean reSINated?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2014
  3. winddog

winddog New Member

Last item
    H.4 JIB ONLY
    The event will be sailed wi
    Should probably be numbered J.4 since it's in section J.

4. twinger

twinger Member

Thank you folks for the good catches. This has been read by at least 30 people already and still we get this stuff. The more eyes on it the better. Keep the comments coming.

5. ndhosford

ndhosford New Member

A.2 Is “ICA” from template? Will the final have “IJCA “ instead ?

6. ndhosford

ndhosford New Member

C 5.1(a) (2) “Anchor and chain” is different from the old “anchor with or without chain” . Is this the same as the old since the length of chain is not specified and could be 0 length?

7. ndhosford

ndhosford New Member

C.5.1(b) (1) needs to be reworded for clarity. The text reads :

… If the engine runs on petrol or propane, it shall carry at least 2 liters of petrol or 1kg …

If the motor is electric it must carry at least two batteries.

The text suggests the engine shall carry 2 liters or the electric motor shall carry at least two batteries but I think the rule intends those to be carried-on-board totals.

Another outboard motor question is suggested here by the “Closed” class rules. Should the quarter berth bunkboard modifications (like a spacer added to increase clearance) be allowed to permit the wider four-strokes to be stored underneath? Under-the-sill storage is less desirable for weight distribution, difficulty in securing, and more likely back injury.

8. ndhosford

ndhosford New Member

C.5.1 Optional
    (a) and (b) Why are mooring lines in sec (a) and dock lines and fenders in sec (b).

(a) or (b) The lifting strap that most boats carry should be added somewhere as optional equipment

9. ndhosford

ndhosford New Member

C.7.1(b)

I suggest the word “may” instead of “shall” As worded it appears to make a verm job mandatory for older boats – even for ones that don't need it.

10. ndhosford

ndhosford New Member

C.7.1(h)

In order to address the fact that most racing J/24s are launched via lifting strap attached to the bar between the aft keel bolts.,I suggest an additional section (h) in C7.1

Alternate 1

(h) To facilitate launching via hoist, the a notch wide enough for the lifting strap may be cut in the aft edge of the sea hood. A “U” bolt or similar guide may installed below the seahood to retain the lifting strap in the sea hood notch during hoists.

Alternate 2 (this allows an inspection port or notch with without “U” bolt to allow for the old, new and converted seahood configurations.)

(h) The Seahood and deck above the keel lifting strap attachment point may be modified to facilitate lifting strap hoist launching.

11. ndhosford

ndhosford New Member

C.10.6 (Sorry -this next remark is close to nit picking)

(3) and (4) don't seen to apply to a symmetrical spinnaker gibed end to end. The terms in the J/24s case are in-use references, not specific parts. The parts are “clews” and “sheets”.

12. ndhosford

ndhosford New Member

D.1.1

The descriptions of modifications for hoisting suffer from lack of names for the various parts. The vertical hatch is named but the rest of the hatch assembly parts are not. The old and new style sliding parts and the panel above the new style horizontal sliding part need standard names.

13. rodgervoss

rodgervoss New Member

Not to be picky but while proof-reading I found a couple of words repeated: "on the on the". Might as well make Tim's hard work perfect:
    C.2.2 CREW POSITIONING

(b) While seated on the deck, crew shall have the base of their spine on the

on the deck and inboard of the lifelines and the sheerplan at all times.

I also had a question as to WHY are we addressing max crew weight once again? This has been bashed around and voted on so many times and now it has been put down in writing and reads as an option for regatta organizers to alter our Class Rules. My challenge is at regattas where this is "tested" how possibly can that regatta be included as a qualifying event especially in a series. You should not include/acknowledge that regatta's finishes in my opinion. Testing this on the club level where it is contained locally is up to the fleet. We're having to address/self govern the "less than three as crew" in our local series. Same thing with eliminating the genoa and making it a "jib only" event. Don't open this can of worms and make it difficult for us fleet officers to administer our Class Rules!
    This following rule reads as though it is allowed . . . no limitations on anything!
    C.2.1 LIMITATIONS – There are no limitations on crew number, weight or substitution unless limitations are specified in event sailing instructions per RRS 87. See SECTION J for examples.
    J.3 CREW LIMITATIONS This changes Class rule C.2.1

(a) The crew shall consist of not less than three persons.
    (b) Total crew weight (in swim wear or underwear) shall not exceed 400kg.
    (b) Total crew weight (in swim wear or underwear) shall not exceed 320kg.

14. twinger

twinger Member

No, it will stay "ICA". The IJCA is the ICA, but for the ISAF rules, it must stay ICA. If you look at any other class's ISAF rules it will be ICA.

15. twinger

twinger Member

I would agree that chain length could be 0. Trying to be simpler wherever possible.

16. twinger

twinger Member

Great catch, I will work on both of these. Thank you, thank you

17. twinger

twinger Member

Good, good - mooring lines are dock lines and belong in (b). They will be removed from (a)

18. twinger

twinger Member

That's the way I always looked at it too, but the Equipment Rules of Sailing, Part 2, Definitions, G3, Sail Corners, see the illustration of the symmetrical spinnaker. ISAF goes with tack and clew.

19. twinger

twinger Member

Hit me again on this one with a different reference. D.1.1 is a listing of the mandatory parts of the hull. Can't find the part to which you are referring.

20. twinger

twinger Member

Roger, good catch on the typo. For the explanation on the crew limitations, please see the accompanying document explaining the rules changes partially quoted as follows:
    Crew – C.2 - "C.2.1 Limitations – there are no limitations on crew number, weight or substitution unless
    limitations are specified in event sailing instructions per RRS 87. See SECTION J for examples.”

REASON – This allows great flexibility for crew in low level club events and handicap rating systems. This is designed to get more people and crew involved at entry level where there is seldom any provision for weight enforcement anyway. Any event may control the crew by adding one of the options in SECTION J in the sailing instructions. Most class events will do this, and all international events shall do it. By stating it in this way, there is no requirement for class approval to add the (preapproved in SECTION J) restrictions to any sailing instructions. The limitations in SECTION J are the same in content as our current limitations (minimum 3 crew and 400kg), with an option for a 340kg crew sailing weight. Crew substitution options are also covered in SECTION J. Crew substitution is not allowed under current class rules and always has to be changed in the SIs. Different NJCAs could experiment with the 340kg sailing weight if they would like. Until an international decision is made to do otherwise, the IJCA will sail at 400kg for all international events.

I doubt you will see any qualifier events in the US sailing at less than 400kg max. for the forseeable future.