new replacement universal

Well i finally decided to get rid of the old mechanical universal on my old tiller. I got the rf3133 and the saddle from http://www.apsltd.com/c-287-replacementuniversals.aspx i am not sure how my old tiller is attached however, it seems like an oversized rivet? I guess the only way to get it out is just drill it out? how would i attach the new universal, with two holes? Through bolt? through-rivet? is there even such a thing?

And it seems the saddle, while it is necessary, would make the universal awfully tall on the tiller. Any comments on that?

And what is the purpose of the shrink wrap tubing that came with the kit?

I'm not sure how your old tiller extension is attached to the universal, perhaps you can post some pics and someone who is familiar can chime in. Modern tiller extensions are kept in place with a pin that can be tapped out, or back in. That's what the shrink wrap tubing is for, it goes on the tiller extension and over that pin, you just heat it with a hair dryer or gently with a torch to shrink it over the pin.

i am trying to load pics, but the computer does not want to cooperate

Attachments

• P2030394.jpg
    P2030394.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 47
hmmm I reckon you could just drill out that rivet to remove the extension from the old universal. After that the hope would be that the hole you're left with is smaller or equal to the size of the pin for the new universal. If it is not just rotate the tiller extension and drill the proper sized hole.

the boat is an 88 and i would have to imagine the entire setup was stock at the time, if that helps?

Attachments

• P2030396.jpg
    P2030396.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 32
Also it looks like you're going to need to mount the new universal behind where the old one was.

More drilling :D

well, in one of my upcoming pics, it shows the oil rivet is quite large, and i never got a pin in the kit from aps

Attachments

• P2030399.jpg
    P2030399.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 41
i asked them for suggestions specificly after i gave them some pics, and this is what he suggested, he said i would need rivets, but that was all

so, let me try to get this straight. you are saying that a small pin would go through my extension, and into the top of the universal to hold it in, and that the sleeve would hold the pin in?

if that is the case, i have no pin AND no hole in the top of the universal

Attachments

• P2150424.jpg
    P2150424.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 32
i asked them for suggestions specificly after i gave them some pics, and this is what he suggested, he said i would need rivets, but that was all

so, let me try to get this straight. you are saying that a small pin would go through my extension, and into the top of the universal to hold it in, and that the sleeve would hold the pin in?

if that is the case, i have no pin AND no hole in the top of the universal

Yes, you'd need to slide the universal into the extension and drill a hole in the universal through the existing hole in the extension so they line up right.

Remember if the hole in the extension is even slightly larger than the pin you'll need to drill a new hole in the extension, the pin should fit snugly in the universal and extension.

The sleeve holds the pin just fine, I use the exact same universal on the Express 27 and it works just fine.

how does that universal work for you?, and i may have found the pin, i was not expecting it how it is. as soon as my camera recharges i will put up a picture of it. It has to be it, it was just much larger than i was expecting

how does that universal work for you?, and i may have found the pin, i was not expecting it how it is. as soon as my camera recharges i will put up a picture of it. It has to be it, it was just much larger than i was expecting

It works great, the part where the pin goes in has never been a point of failure. Normally in the past the point of failure has been the universal itself. But that was due to poor maintenance. I used to just leave the extension attached to the tiller (Express or Laser) and bend them together for storage when not in use. This eventually leads to cracks forming on the universal, mainly because the universal was getting bent in the same direction over and over.

What I do these days to avoid this is detach the extension from the tiller when not in use. But I've also noticed the quality is better, rather than being all rubber the universals now appear to have a core made of some type of line.

thats good, that was the main reason why i waited so long; the old mechanical sure can last a while compared to the rubber universal!

does this look like the pin?, i completely disregarded it originally, lucky for me i saved all the packaging!

Attachments

• P2150426.jpg
    P2150426.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 43
I replaced the mechanical universal on my tiller with a rubber one because I didn't like occasionally getting the universal stuck in gimbal lock. Ever since I've just left the rubber universal attached to tiller and extension. Any other opinions on whether that really does shorten its life?

I replaced the mechanical universal on my tiller with a rubber one because I didn't like occasionally getting the universal stuck in gimbal lock. Ever since I've just left the rubber universal attached to tiller and extension. Any other opinions on whether that really does shorten its life?

It does shorten the life of the universal. I went through one per season on the Express before I started taking care of mine. Plus universals are good at breaking at the most inopportune times, like when you're near other boats or when you're beating in 25 knots and 4 foot square waves.

I started taking the tiller extension off the tiller 3 years ago and I'm still using that same universal. I know that's not another opinion, just some unscientific data I guess :D

I bought a universal joint to replace my broken one in my rooster carbon tiller extension. I am trying to remove it form the extension but I don't want to brake it applying too much force.

Is there any trick to remove it easily?

Thanks

Undo the small grub screw and pull it out with the insert. Don't forget to put the insert on the new joint before putting it back in the extension.

mobile pic. The joint spins free inside the extension.

Image00541.jpg

Sorry for the quality

P.D.- Merrily, Could you explain your uh-ho?

Hi,

Having recenlty bought a new tiller extension that came with a rubber universal I also need to remove the old mechanical one from my tiller. Am I right in guessing that the best was to get the old one off is to just drill out the large pin and then rivet the new one to the tiller?

It's exactly the same as the photo's posted earlier.

Thanks

is there anyone else who has replaced their old mechanical on this tiller? i am still unsure of the process

Back