New member - Hull repairs...

jav102

I found a deal on a '76 boat w/ some hull problems. The deck is in good shape but it's got a decent sized hole in the keel and another small hole also on the bottom. And a few cracks (I assume just in the gelcoat) here and there. Here are some pics:

http://jdvs.funpic.org/sunfish

The boat's definately heavy. I know I'm gonna need to puts some inspection ports in to dry it out. Will a 6" port fit ok in the back? The only sizes I can get locally are 4" and 6"...

I consider myself fairly handy, but I've never messed w/ fiberglass before. Are these repairs something a newbie could handle?
Thanks,
Jeff

Repairs are not difficult (Get West System publications). Drying it out can be a major undertaking, and there may have been damage to the foam supports and/or laminate. When you get done, you might have a HEAVY boat. It would take a fantastic "deal" to make it worthwhile. Depending on your location, there are lots of used 'fish out there. Of course, if you enjoy restoration, and don't plan to race, it could be a satisfying exercise.

LAuman said:
It would take a fantastic "deal" to make it worthwhile.

is FREE fantastic enough? hehe

and everything was with the boat - the guy had another sunfish and just didnt wanna deal w/ fixing this one. The sails are in OK shape - not great but usable.

I cut the holes for the inspection ports last nite and I will start trying to get it dried out.

I dont know what's goin on with the pics, the server keeps goin down or something - and you might just hafta cut and paste the address to a new browser window.

jdvs.jd.funpic.org/sunfish

RE: the drying out task. I had good results with a heavy hull (220 lbs to be exact) by installing two 6" inspection ports, one on the deck, one centered between the forward edge of the dagger board trunk and the "V" of the splashrail and a second centered on the deck just forward of the rudder attachment fitting. Then I inserted a 6" 120 volt (house current) duct fan that I bought at Home Depoit for about $17, turned the hull upside down with a 40 watt lightbulp inside the hull cavity for some heat and let the fan run outside from Thanksgiving until May (about 6 months.) I got the weight down to 145 only 15 lbs over the new boat target weight of 130 lbs. I don't know how much electricity I burned, but I didn't see a bump in my monthly bill and the other curious thing was that the 40 watt light bulb did not have to be replaced even once. Apparebtly what kills regular light bulbs is the turning them off and on and jiggling the filament in the process.

As a "free boat" project, you are in good shape to spend a few bucks on repairs. Go for it.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Back