new laser

g1gaumond

After fnding a great deal on this used, not loved enough Laser, we have started the repair and refurbishing of my daughter new (old 1974) laser.:cool:

She is thrilled at the prospect at launching it this week-end (mind you water still at 5C, 42F around here!)

With the help of various posts found in this forum, here's what we have done in the last 3 weeks:

1) Changed all lines, being a standard rig, we followed advise found here to respect class rules (although there's no immediate plan to race her);).
2) The maststep, although it still looked pretty solid despite a slow leak, got that fixed and installed an inspection porthole and fixed maststep with carbon fiber. Also installed new wearplate in bottom of mast step.
3) Revarnished all wood, yes still has the old wood tiller on it for now but it sure looks great!!!
4) Changed hull drain plug, cockpit drain fitting and daggerboard brake.
5) Resealed on deckware to hull.
6) Changed upper section mast end plug.
7) Repaired and rebuilt both the daggerboard and rudder, as per instructions found here, I must say it was loads of labor of love, but they sure look great!!!!
8) Sewed carrying bags for all foils and components, looks sharp too.
9) Cherry on the sundae, refurbished an old trailer (got it for 150$ca, which is about 100$US) and spent about 70$ on wood, paint and hardware and we end up with one cool looking trailer, again found the plans and ideas for it on this site. Modified the design slightly to had a lockable part locker for all components. Mind you the colour was selected by little princess, not too manly, one must say! :cool:
10) Time to take her out and try it.

So we do thank all of you forum members for constantly posting very helpful advice and ideas regarding anything related to Lasers, you are members of an impressive community that share a second to none passion for wind, water and fun.

Ghislain and Emilie

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 129
Looks great - I've got the same trailer setup (with 12" wheels), can't beat it for the price and it's great to have the box for all the gear...

Good job going after the mast step fix now too.

If the top section hasn't been "end for ended" that would be something I would be doing - those rivet holes on the top section collar are the weak spot and will eventually cause the top section to break, and if IIRC, the old collars might have had two rivets in them, the new ones have just one, so I would end of end the top section and only use one rivet.

Same here. I've managed to pick up these two beauties. The red one is a '75 model and the yellow one is a '77. Both were owned by the same family and have only ever been used on fresh water. I have only updated the ropes and re varnished the centerboards and tillers. Got both for a bargin so now just trying to get my two kids (5 and 7) on board. Problems is they have seen there old man being tipped out on several occasions (mainly from not reading a sudden drop in wind and being caught hiking to far out).

Attachments

• IMG_0611.JPG
    IMG_0611.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 87
I have an old 70s Laser that I am trying to get purdy. It has varnished wood foils; rudder is in great shape, I have to fix up the daggerboard. Do you have the links to those threads?

Nice looking rig. I hope the kiddo got to sweat some of that "equity". Good job on searcing/researching etc. Makes it worth it for those who contribute.

Come on down to Lake Champlain sometime. See Mbbc-vt.org for details. Much warmer down here ;-)

Al

Wessel,

Sorry for the delay in replying. Been travelling a lot on business.

Good news, my princess has taken the laser out several times and is simply loving it and it is a marvel to watch her sail. Never says no either to participate or handle work to be done on "her" laser.

Here are a few links that I found tremendously helpful in all my work:

a) http://www.schrothfiberglass.com/maststep.htm for mast step repair.
b) http://schrothfiberglass.com/centerboard_and_rudder_repairs.htm for center board and rudder repair.
c) http://www.wvaegir.nl/newrig_2.html for good line set-up and improved ratios
d) http://jamesfreedman.org/static.php?page=static060809-000101 for installing the self bailer unit, have not carried out this one yet, 80$ for a self bailer seems steep to me.
e) http://www.schrothfiberglass.com/ these guys have great advice and great links to help with fixing fiberglass etc.

I did the end to end fixing of the top mast section, thanks 42908...great advice.

Found a really good, radial sail and a bottom mast section so now we got both set-ups for a really reasonalbe amount of money.

My only fear and that the princess will become so taken by her laser, will become as passionate as she ususally is, will get into racing (won't complain) that dad will have to dish out a lot more $$$ on a real perfoming laser!!!;)

Safe winds.

GG

Thanks for the reply. I am currently on vacation heading up to the NE. Woodenboat show and then to Newport for a couple of nights and then ending in Marblehead MA.

I recently was given and old laser that is in fairly good shape that I am trying to make purdy.

Again, thanks for the reply and the links.

Back