New junior sailor questions

Just got my first boat, Laser with full and radial set ups- I have taken it out three times in about 9mph wind with the full sail. I am content with my basic sailing skills, simply from being taught by my friend in the Caribbean a few months ago but would like to fine tune, and learn more about the fine adjustments:

When, and how much, do i adjust the
Cunningham, outhaul, and boom vang?
from what ive heard, you pull more tension on the vang when going upwind, and i experimented with that yesterday, but it seems to come loose very easily, loose as in lots of slack.

Thanks, I am definitely hooked, and have actually just talked to the Univ Oregon sailing program for next fall, as well as going to the lake everyday i dont have lacrosse practice.

Congrats on getting your first boat!!
I suggest getting a book. I know that doesn't sounds as much fun as just getting out their and trying it out but it really will help. Try 'The complete Book of Laser Sailing' by Dick Tillman. It covers all the questions you asked and a whole lot more.

I have found it really helps to get your head round what the sail controls actually are doing to the sail, and what sail shape means in terms of power and direction.
If you can understand that, you will have no problem on the water knowing what sail shape you need for what conditions.

Good luck
Nicko

Outhaul- work it in as wind builds up to foot aligning with boom. Be sure adjust by feel as you feel your laser power up. downwind- blow for maximum sail camber. Just about 6" up to 15 (confirm that)
Cunningham- play with adjusting just so upwind- making taut just smoothing sail- eye sail up the luff in moderate wind. Building over 15 start thinking of hauling down; up to 25, crank it!
Boomvang- I hear various tensions settings in light air- either off and slack or just hand tight. But here's my suggestion for heavy air- bring it full on upwind. reaching- off some to keep boom from stopping you in your tracks. downwind- off more so, reduce visible mast bend.
Other laser folks can tell you more about sail shape impact and response.
I often forget some of these things.
What rigging system? Original or performance set?

You will love sailing out in the PacNW.
Sailing always come first before Lacrosse!
JRF
"Girl Laser Sailor"

thanks for that, it helps much more for the meantime than a book suggestion, which wouldnt help me for sailing tomorrow afternoon.

I got into Western Washington, as well as UW, Colorado- Boulder and Uoregon, so the decision is on...

Back