new guy

Cullenh

Howdy folks:

I am a new guy to the forum and I like what I see. Also, I am a new guy
to sailing. Having reached the ripe young age of 62 and newly retired
I am getting ready to try a lifelong desire to sail a boat.

My trial by fire is a sunfish that I have been in the process of restoring.
Now I am at the point of trying to reduce the weight since it was
waterlogged when I got it. I have gone from about 245 lbs to 195 lbs.

Question is, what is the maximum boat weight that I should consider
sailing the boat? My weight is 170 lbs.

Also, it is now time for me to get a new sail since I don't trust the old
one. Other than trying to find a used sail the most reasonable price I
have been able to find is from AirFX Sails in South Carolina. Is anyone
out there familiar with them? If so I would love to know what your experience
with them has been.

Any help you can give a new guy will be greatly appreciated.

Cullenh said:
Howdy folks:
Question is, what is the maximum boat weight that I should consider
sailing the boat? My weight is 170 lbs.

One of the greatest Sunfish sailor, Cordero, is weigthing about 160 lbs! So you are just ok. Most of the time, I sail with my son, we make 210 together and the boat is going well in any wind, even though it is heavy (over 200 lbs, put inspection port just this year).

About the sail, I don't know that maker.

I guess I didn't make myself clear which is pretty common with me. I weigh
170 lbs, my boat weighs 195. My question is, can I sail the boat at that
weight?

You have a fat fish! It needs to lose about 50 pounds of water saturated into the foam. Open up the boat by putting in inspection ports and air it out. There's been a zilion posts about this on the forum.

Your body weight is right on for a sunfish. You should have no problems.

As far as a sails: for a non-class approved sail, call Mac at southsails florida (on the web). He can cut a sail in whatever color scheme you want, with or without a window for a VERY reasonable price. I had him cut 2 knock off race sails for "practice" sailing. I highly recommend adding the window. For a class approved sail, go through the dealer or look on Ebay. Personally, I don't see the point of having or buying a "class approved" recreational sail.

Good luck and have fun.

You can sail your 195 lb. hull. The extra 65 pounds is all water absorbed into the styrofoam blocks and expanding foam that hold those blocks in place. The blocks are what support the deck and hull and give it strength, stiffness, and floatation. The boat will still float even if the inside of the hull is filled, just nowhere near as high and it may be more challenging to right from a capsize.

A weekend in the sun with the black trash bag over one inspection port hole in 90 degrees (see Wind Line Sails web site drying out info) will easily pull 20 lbs. out. If you can find a heated warehouse, garage or basement to keep the hull in all winter (blowing a fan into one end of the hull will help even more) will likely get the hull down under 140. Those last 10 or so pounds can be pesky, but they do not affect performance at all. You'll notice the difference in sailing between 195 and 130, but it should not stop you from GOING SAILING!

The Sunfish was designed to be sailed by 2 adults, total weight up to some 350 lbs. No worries!

Thanks folks. You have given me the answer that I was looking for.
I figured the the overweight boat would be about like having a child
on board with me but I wanted and opinion from someone with more
knowledge than me.

In terms of weight. You are just a little above, but it will be helpfull during mid-heavy wind conditions. Play the goosenck, move it forward to a max of 13 inches. It will increase the power of the sail big time.

About the sail....get rid of it. I know them.
Get a Racing North Class Legal...the rest just does not work. Not even for practice, maybe for deliver the boat.

Cheers

F7

Back