New guy looking for sail

El Mar

Whats up, scored a free sunfish on craigslist this weekend, looking for a sail. New or used, anyone got one for sale or recommend where to buy new?

This is our third fiberglass sunfish, dad has one, one was destroyed in a hurricane, now I have one to call my own, dad had a wooden sailfish at one time too.

Looking to trick this one out, have another one that is a beach cruiser.

Suggestions?

Intensity Sail. Very nice race type sail at a very good price. Not class legal but if you don't race then it doesn't matter.

I have a brand new, class legal "Olympic" sail, new, old stock Red-white-Blue classic design still sealed in the plastic bag, $160 + shipping. Add $5 for a set of used plastic sail attachment clips Don't have photos yet, but can get them soo.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

The sail is new, never used and it came from a former dealer who had left over Sunfish parts and gear for sale. I am guessing this sail is from the late 1990s, but this is just an educated guess based on the age of the rest o his stuff. Let me know if you are interested. You can e-mail me directly at: [email protected]

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Intensity Sail. Very nice race type sail at a very good price. Not class legal but if you don't race then it doesn't matter.
It's a decent sail, but don't take just any colors. The assortment of colors I received recently weren't very complementary :oops: including lemon neon-glow, orange neon-glow—and black! :confused:

It's a decent sail, but don't take just any colors.

Truer words have never been spoken. The color should complement the hull, deck, cockpit and deck stripes (if any) colors, and project the image you want to convey. Red/White/Blue says "classic and all American." The neons have a certain (albeit a bit dated) "look at me, I am high-tech/modern" flair. The black "jolly roger" sails say, well, I won't say what they say, whereas a rainbow sail projects serenity, and a white racing sail says "get out of my way, I am a serious, serious sailor, and will use whatever rules, tactics and protests are necessary to beat you into submission on the water." This is an important decision, so take your time to make a good choice.

This is the original sail and boat stripes.

Are the original stripes paint or gelcoat?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Hi, from what I can see, your boat does not have stripes. Sunfish stripes typically look similar to those I have emblazoned on my head. Your boat appears to be a 1968 or earlier, which predates stripes. The stripes on Sunfish a gelcoat. For a couple of years they were gelcoat and vinyl tape, but it became obvious in the short term why tape had not previously been used for the stripes.

Actually the boat has blue stripes and the serial number indics its a 1968.

Attachments

• IMG_1588.jpg
    IMG_1588.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1594.jpg
    IMG_1594.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 45
Actually the boat has blue stripes and the serial number indics its a 1968.

Sweet looking boat. Yep it's a 1968, I believe the first year that they had the gelcoat stripes. If you want to MATCH the sail then a sailmaker can make one for about the price of a new class legal recreational sail, but it won't be legal for Class events (racing). Racing sail costs more anyway. And a new sail would be 6 panel vs the 5 panel Ratsey.

What kind of shape is the Ratsey & Lapthorne sail in, maybe a good cleaning and off you go? The sailmaker is part of Americana as well. Some of those R&L sails were made from a bulletproof, buttery type Dacron? and they last forever.

The sail is in bad shape. Lots of holes. Some patches. A pulled grommet and some duck tape in various spots.

No go.

:oops: Advertise it here anyway. Someone will want it to repair, practice repairs, make a shower curtain, or restore it as a spare.

I sold my well-used (but repaired) Sunfish sail for $40 :) which made a new sail purchase easier—plus I got two prompt replies. :D Shipping depends on distance, so watch the postage rate so you don't get "up-side down"! :confused:

Back