New boat vibrates more?

So First sail in the new boat. 20-25 kts., 3-5' waves, 77 air temp, 49 water temp. SOOO much fun! Boats great, still need to tune it some though. One thing I did notice however is that when I am reaching, the boat seems to vibrate alot sooner than my 03. It might be the blade, which is slightly bent, but still...

Any of you noticed this with your new boats?

Thanks!
Nick

With my '07, 188673, seems quite normal yet the blades seem extremely "vibrative". In 10 knots on a reach in a radial it was humming like mad!

I have no idea what is so different but its not just you!

ChalmersP

I have an 81 and it doesn't vibrate at all even when I'm sailing in 20-25 knot winds, on a plane. I heard from an other laser sailor about the "laser death roll" when you are on a plane and make a small steering correction and it over corrects and you end up going back and fourth and eventually capsizing. Has anyone else heard of this?

The "Death Roll" that I know of is when going downwind and you get too much heel in a blow and BOOM you go over to windward, which points the top of your mast into the wind, when you flip it back over your sail fills and your boat goes over again! And all of that put together is the feared DEATH ROLL!!!!!!

Well thats my view
ChalmersP

The "Death Roll" that I know of is when going downwind and you get too much heel in a blow and BOOM you go over to windward, which points the top of your mast into the wind, when you flip it back over your sail fills and your boat goes over again! And all of that put together is the feared DEATH ROLL!!!!!!

Well thats my view
ChalmersP

Nope. I deathrolled today. I've messed up my arm pretty bad in the process too..(last year)

Deathroll: When you are heading downwind, and you start to feel the boat "peel" windward. The boat then capsizes to windward, and since youre going downwind, you are going fast. You get flung forwards against the mast. The boat then turtles.

But what does this have to do with speed vibrations?

Nope. I deathrolled today. I've messed up my arm pretty bad in the process too..(last year)

Deathroll: When you are heading downwind, and you start to feel the boat "peel" windward. The boat then capsizes to windward, and since youre going downwind, you are going fast. You get flung forwards against the mast. The boat then turtles.

But what does this have to do with speed vibrations?

I was just ansewering Captainjacks question of what a deathroll is!

Not trying to get off topic!

I wouldn't have taken a new boat out for its first sail in that kind of conditions.

I always like it when my blades hum, makes it sound like you are going fast. i wouldn't worry about it.

Um.... Why not? I have been sailing for over 10 years, and I bought the boat for a reason. I actually sail! I dont just keep it in my garage and look at it.

Id want to break my boat in a little and not subject it to all that the first day. I wouldn't want to even think about using anything new in a blowout like that.

Id want to break my boat in a little and not subject it to all that the first day. I wouldn't want to even think about using anything new in a blowout like that.

Break a boat in? Not really possible, except for the rigging.

I see you are in D 10. Me too.... Whats you name?

Nick Pro

Break a boat in? Not really possible, except for the rigging.

I see you are in D 10. Me too.... Whats you name?

Nick Pro

Eric Reitinger, you've met me before many times.

But I wouldn't take my brand new boat out in that for it's first sail, but then again that's just me.

excessive humming isn't necessarily bad, can be caused by the centerboard trunk not properly padded, ie the board move around, boards over the years have been getting slimmer, not fast, the older boards are sometimes redone by top guys to get a bigger foil, another aspect is the gudgeons not properly alligned with centerboard

You've gotta be pretty ambitious to take a new boat out for the first time in 20-25. a) unless you are using a used sail, the new one will be shot in a pretty short period of time unless properly broken in, b) the spars have not been used enough in light air to stiffen up a little bit allowing them to most likely be bent more than usual when you come in, c) you probably didn’t rig the board well enough w/ a bungee and/or didn’t have in high enough out of the water.

excessive humming isn't necessarily bad, can be caused by the centerboard trunk not properly padded, ie the board move around, boards over the years have been getting slimmer, not fast, the older boards are sometimes redone by top guys to get a bigger foil, another aspect is the gudgeons not properly alligned with centerboard

Humming IS slow. Fair the trailing edge of the blades and make sure they are straight.

I know of no one making blades "thicker". Who, specificaly, does this?

You've gotta be pretty ambitious to take a new boat out for the first time in 20-25. a) unless you are using a used sail, the new one will be shot in a pretty short period of time unless properly broken in, b) the spars have not been used enough in light air to stiffen up a little bit allowing them to most likely be bent more than usual when you come in, c) you probably didn’t rig the board well enough w/ a bungee and/or didn’t have in high enough out of the water.

A. Using my old sail, used for 2 seasons before
B. I have european spars... Dont think that makes a difference but..
C. I used the same board and bungee as with my old boat.

On the bright side, that was some of the most memorable sailing I have ever done. Going upwind with 3-5' waves, and watching my friends daggerboard come out of the water whilst going over a wave.

The hum is from the board and rudder. Take a fine file and bevel the trailing edge about 10-15 degrees instead of being square. The hum will go away.

Back