Need suggestions for grab bag

Webfoot

Going to clip a mesh bag to the bow handle and carry 5 saftey items. Excluding Cell a phone, what would give me the most bang for the buck. So far I have. . .

1. 10 feet Spyder line with Eye-Splice on one and clip on other. Could form loop over dagger board and allow 2 people to hold on to upturned hull for extended period. Also clip swimmer to overturned boat or clip two swimmers together.

2. Signal mirror

3. Wire saw for cutting rope or cable.

4. Whistle

5. ?

Change as you see fit or tell me they are all useless. It's part of my retooling project.

Re: Need sugestions for grab bag.

Going to clip a mesh bag to the bow handle and carry 5 saftey items.
What do your state boating regs call for? In my state a whistle in the possession of the skipper is mandatory.

I carry a piece of small line, but just plain so I can use it for the widest spectrum of needs. 25' of 3/16" (5mm) hardly takes up any space and will double for any line on the boat in an emergency.

I keep a folding diver's/river runner's knife on a tether attached to my PFD.

Mirror ?? only good on sunny days..., maybe if I were sailing open water, but that sure as heck wouldn't be on a Sunfish.

I keep a telescoping paddle clipped between the bow handle and mast.

I have some other non-essentials like sail tape and power bars. What's not on my person fits in a lunch bag size drybag clipped inside the cockpit cubby. It floats and is easily reached on a turtled boat without having to go diving.

From my experience as a lifeguard and a whitewater river runner I strongly advise against ever tying people together or to a boat. You would be best off, in the case of an un-rightable boat, to throw a line around the boat and form a lifeline for people to hold on to or climb on with.

Attachments

• Get A Tan.jpg
    Get A Tan.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 47

I like the Knife Idea I'll make it so.

Need more info on clipping people together. Was only going to do it with Type 1 Vests and if the time extended to where hyperthermia became a issue or end of daylight. Would the risks be because. . .

1. A person in the final stages of Hyperthermia will try to remove the vest?
2. Panic can endanger the other swimmers?

Thanks a bunch, your info is a lifesaver.

Would the risks be because. . .

1. A person in the final stages of Hyperthermia will try to remove the vest?
2. Panic can endanger the other swimmers?

Yup, panicked "swimmers" want to climb on top of any rescuer... Lesson 1 in any lifeguard class.

It strikes me, in light of your recent experience, you might be going to extremes with the boy scout preparedness. Not a bad thing, but a tad reactionary, sort of like having an auto accident and enrolling in med school the next day.

I think you had a good handle on it day 1... teach everyone to swim well. Add to that some capsize practice in chest deep water, then deeper so everyone knows the drill by heart.

It wouldn't hurt to take a family small boat sailing class so everyone is familiarized with the fundamentals by an objective third party.

Being prepared isn't nearly as much the emergency equipment you carry on the boat as it is the knowledge and practice you carry in your head.

I enthusiastically second the safety paddle, whistle, and don't-tie-people-together advice. A panicked swimmer will climb on top of the head of a strong swimmer and disable the one person who is in a position to get everyone out of a scary situation. In my cockpit cubby, I usually try to remember extra sunscreen and a bottle of water or gatorade--water, water everywhere but not a drop to drink.

With or without all of the gadgets in the world, the best safety resource is a calm skipper and crew. That means competent swimmers who have flipped, flipped, and flipped the fish till, if you are lucky, it is considered more fun than scary. Hope the next outing is a success!

Had kid in the pool today, keeps getting better. Was going to throw in the wife but other things came up. Always felt that everything including life jackets was a back-up for being able to swim. Guess I learned my own advice the hard way.

Was kicking myself for poor sailing performance. Sunfish sailed totally different with people on it. Let me say, I never saw it flip like it that day. If it's just me, the boat goes on its side, everything comes to a stop and I slide into the water. When it flipped with my wife and kid, it went over fast and kept going. I go into the water and look up to see the deck coming down on top of me, not what I was expecting. Next time I will be expecting it.

What are you using to clip the paddle to the deck? Mine is loose in the cockpit. Going to paint it international orange because it's hard to find when it floats away.

I'll go with the whistle for each swimmer. Going to look for vests with a pocket. Any Type 1 you prefer? I'm not going to put a cost limit on it, the best the better.

You are going to hurt your foot or pull something if you don't stop kicking yourself!:)

I can't offer Type I vest advice, but I clip my nephew's safety whistle to his paddling vest when we kayak rather than putting it in the pocket. I put my safety paddle in my cockpit cubby--the handle pokes out just a smidge and once I stuff the cubby with my other carry-ons, it is snug and secure.

It sounds like strengthening your bride's swimming skills will help immensely with everyone's confidence on the water. Here's to smooth sailing the next time around!

I'll let you know what I find in the way of a vest. Going to be a trick finding something that is not too hot or bulky. Also needs a couple D-Rings for whistle and glow stick since I fish at night. Small lake has pontoon boats running along the shore at night, don't wanna become chopped ham.:eek:

What are you using to clip the paddle to the deck?
I use a cheap keychain carabiner tethered by a loop of nylon cord. (I don't use the splitring, it gets set aside)

The carabiner clips to the bow handle. I'll extend the shaft until the handle drops between the halyard and mast. I've tied it other places too, it collapses short enough to fit most way into the cubby where I've installed an eyestrap for clipping things in.

210279054_100_v1_m56577569830714448.jpg
2332060C.jpg

Going to look for vests with a pocket. Any Type 1 you prefer? I'm not going to put a cost limit on it, the best the better.
Mine is an older style Type III river runner PFD a little bulkier than this one...

universal_hifloat.f_sm.jpg

At the time (don't ask) river gear was the only style PFD equipment with arm clearance and pockets. Today the choices are way cool...
http://www.extrasport.com/category/pfds.aspx

Shop around... REI, Northwest River Supply, there are even big PDF warehouse outlet stores online.

Back