Need Help Buying a Laser 2

cunit

hey

anyone out there that knows how much laser 2's are worth please write back!!!
I've been looking for a laser 2 for the last little while and i found one. Its a 1990 blue hull full set of sails 3 years old plus the old ones, standing rigging good, hull is supposed to be good. the only down fall is it was used at a yaught club for lessons. I need to know if this is a good deal or am i paying too much! Id like to have an idea for when i meet the guy. Please help me if you can!!

Thanks
Chris M.

Re: Buying a Used Laser by Allan Broadribb

hey im buying a laser 2 myself right now and i want to thank you this has helped me more than you will ever know!! the boat im looking at is a 1990 laser 2 with sails that are 3 yrs old. The hull is supposed to be in good shape as well as the standing rigging, it does not include trailler or dolly. Although it comes with an extra set of old sails. I was wondering if you think 2500 is fair for this boat. o ya it was used at a yaught club for lessoms so it was well used. it hasnt been used for 2 years so is there anything i should be worried about? That should also mean that the sails are like new!
Any information you could lend would be great!!

Thanks
Chris M.

Re: Buying a Used Laser by Allan Broadribb

Chris,

2500 sound like a lot to me for a boat that has been used by a yachtclub. One never knows what happened to a boat, but you can be pretty sure this boat has seen at least some abuse. If the boat was privately owned 2500 for a 1990 boat with newer sails would be reasonable. In most areas that I'm familiar with Laser II's are not that popular anymore. Lasers and Vanguard 15's often seem to be a better investment, as prices remain pretty stable. Yet, this could be different in the area where you live. If there is a racing-fleet of laser II's in your area, that would defintely make the boat more valuable.

Good luck!

Gerard

I agree that 2500 seems a little excessive, especially seeing as it doesn't have a trailor or dolly - those can be quite expensive, especially if you get them custom made.

However I wouldn't really know cause I don't know how much 2500 in what I'm assuming is US$ is worth over here (Australia).

As Gerard said I'd be wary of a boat used for sail training. Mostly they get treated fairly badly, simply because the people are still learning how to take care of a boat. Also, an example that comes to mind is when I saw the sailing school near my club take five big kids/teenagers and two adults out in a Vagabond (2 person boat) on a fairly windy day. That's not good for the boat structurally, and it also puts excess pressure on the rig. Just be aware, that's all I'm trying to say.

Back