Need advice on getting hired as a crewman...

magellan22

Hello I am 22 years old and I am looking for a job as a crew member on any type of boat. I have some experience. I owned my own sunfish and I took it sailing across a couple lakes and the coast of Galveston. I was also part of a three-man crew that delivered a 42' catamaran from Fort Lauderdale to Cartagena Colombia. It was a nine day sail across the Caribbean and my boss bought my ticket home (there was nothing else on the boat besides the crew). I love the ocean and I love sailing. I don't want to pay someone to be dead weight on some pleasure-cruise. I want real work as a crew member. I realize my age is a disadvantage but I'm not looking to be a captain or a first hand or anything. On the catamaran I cooked I cleaned and I followed orders. That's pretty much what I'm hoping for. Does anyone know where I can find work like that?

Hello I am 22 years old and I am looking for a job as a crew member on any type of boat. I have some experience. I owned my own sunfish and I took it sailing across a couple lakes and the coast of Galveston. I was also part of a three-man crew that delivered a 42' catamaran from Fort Lauderdale to Cartagena Colombia. It was a nine day sail across the Caribbean and my boss bought my ticket home (there was nothing else on the boat besides the crew). I love the ocean and I love sailing. I don't want to pay someone to be dead weight on some pleasure-cruise. I want real work as a crew member. I realize my age is a disadvantage but I'm not looking to be a captain or a first hand or anything. On the catamaran I cooked I cleaned and I followed orders. That's pretty much what I'm hoping for. Does anyone know where I can find work like that?

first thing i would is look online for a school in your area that offers captain/a.b classes, after you pass that, they will be able to help you get on a boat. or you could just go down to the local docks, ask the crews on the boats there. if there are any shipyards that haul yachts, that is also a good place to look.

Back