Need advice buying used Laser for my husband

NeofiteSailor

I want to buy 2 used Lasers for my husband for his birthday (surprise) but I'm not a sailor and don't know what to look for . Can anyone give me advice on shopping for Lasers ie tell me what to look for, what to watch out for, what to avoid, what questions to ask etc. What are your thoughts on older Lasers ie older than 5 yrs old? :confused: Please help me!!

Some information about my husband & our needs:
* my husband likes to race & will race at the regatta at our cottage
* my husband used to own a Laser (many yrs ago) and used to own CS 36 & Catalina 25 (life before kids)
* my husband likes to cruise & race
* Lasers are for our cottage on a medium sized lake
* my kids (aged 10 & 12) are just getting started sailing and want them to use the Laser
* we can launch from our cottage property into the lake

P.s. we live in Toronto, Ontario (in case you know anyone selling)

Thanks!!

Good on you. The kids are a perfect age to get them going, and Dad can be the Expert sailor, at least for a while.

You'll have to use the search function, as there are many (!) discussions about this. And page thru the classified to get a feel for the prices. In general, boats might be cheaper in the States, due to less taxes on new ones, etc.

You might consider getting a local hotshot kid sailor to help you look, or a sailing instructor. At the same time, getting your own kids involved, with or without Dad, might help them learn about the value of money, etc.

Al Russell

2 Lasers! what a nice gift!
i would recommend that you find (1) used Full rig boat, and (1) used Radial rig boat. a 10 and 12 year could handle a radial on light days, but you will probably need a used 4.7 rig (just sail and spars). all of the rigs could be used on either boat. in a year or two, 2 lasers may not be enough. good luck.

I agree with the Full Rig and Radial for the two boats, and also trying to find a local hotshot or sailing instructor to guide you towards good boats.

You may find it benificial to stop in at Fogh Marine, see if they have any decent trade in's available and any advice they can offer as well - They are the local Laser dealer....
FOGH MARINE, LTD.
901 OXFORD STREET
TORONTO , ON
Phone: 416-251-0384

No offense Kevin, but it sounds like one of those hulls is ready for the trash bin, and the other doesn't sound to far behind it.. If I got those as a bday gift from my wife, I'd suspect she was sending me a message and not one I wanted to hear... ;)

As a price-point, I bought an 86 in truly excellent condition - very dry & very stiff, some small scratches on the blades, radial & full rig, sails in OK condition and original rigging - all for $1200.

my first laser was an 84, i got 4 rigs, 2 booms, 2 sets of covers, 2 sets of blades, trailer, and like 9 sails, and an assortment of lines, all for 1500, you can get great stuff, just gotta look

Avoid 1990 and 1991 boats with serial #s starting with PSB (Pearson) and check for delams around the deck and cockpits of 1993 and 1994 boats with with serial #s starting with SLI. Good luck...

Back