Near miss

pez

k... this might be amusing.

I missed him by more than 30 feet, but I was sailing Monday morning at about 6:30 AM on port tack and nearly collided with a paddle boat moving upwind. Did I have the right of way? Could I have rammed this person to prove a point that they should be sailing instead of mucking about on their farcical aquatic bicycle?

You did not have right of way over a manually (pedically ? ) powered boat. No right of way over canoes or kayaks either, or a power boat whose engine won't start and is drifting out of control. No right of way over tankers or commercial fishermen or any other "working" boat. And yeah, they should get a sail for their paddle boat!

k... this might be amusing.

I missed him by more than 30 feet, but I was sailing Monday morning at about 6:30 AM on port tack and nearly collided with a paddle boat moving upwind. Did I have the right of way? Could I have rammed this person to prove a point that they should be sailing instead of mucking about on their farcical aquatic bicycle?

Depends on which tack he was paddling.

Aha... I'm sure if I'd gotten any closer they would have yelled "starboard!"... I'm sure they had their protest flag at the ready in case I did decide to ram them.

Back