Name and Number on transom in NSW

suthera

Hi,

I'm planning to branch out of just doing club sailing in Sydney and start attending other regattas in New South Wales. I heard a rummor that you have to have the boat name and number on your transom, and that they have to be of a minimum size, if you want to do laser NSW association events. Does anyone, who sails in NSW, know if this is true, and what the minimum size is? There doesn't seem to be any info on the association web site.

Cheers,

not sure on size but i just use some Gaff tape on the back of Mine, top with Sail number bottom one with Club, never had a problem here in vic

It's an Australia wide rule - a Yachting Australia addendum to the ISAF RRS, so in theory it even applies for your club racing. Addendum A, Regulation 9 if you reeeeally want to know. The boat name and number have to be at least 50mm high and 8mm thick, the class and sailing club must be at least 20mm high and 4mm thick. Believe it or not, in Victoria you are not even allowed to abbreviate your club name. It's lucky that doesn't apply in NSW otherwise the guys at the South Lake Macquarie Amateur Sailing Club would need a bigger transom.

At most regattas no one really cares, but the measurers have cracked down on it at the Nationals a couple of times. I've never seen them get the calipers out to measure letter thickness though, so I wouldn't worry too much. They normally just want to make sure that the boat name and number are legible from a couple of boat lengths behind, in case someone wants to protest you and can't see the number on your sail. Plenty of people just stick some gaffer tape on the transom and write on it witha permanent marker.

I only have an older rule book to hand so the details may have changed, but I'm pretty sure they are still the same.

Hey Suthera, I wouldn't let a little thing like that worry you. The advice here is pretty good so I won't repeat anything.

What regattas are you thinking of doing? Check out the our NSW & ACT Class Association link in my signature. They have a calander, results and heaps of photos. The regattas are all really friendly and fun, some top quality sailors lead the fleet but there is always a lot of depth. Well worth doing!

Thanks to you both for the advice. I had actually already ordered details for my transom to be printed and was worried that it would end up being to small and all. I’ll just be prepared with tape and a marker if and when I go to regattas in case this is an issue.

The current plan is to try and make it to the NSW coasts, metropolitans, and state champs. Our club is trying to buy a 6 boat trailer so hopefully there will be a bunch of us.

Cheers,

We'll look out for me in the the boat park or on the water come say G'day!

A boat named "Rock Steady".

There is also an "Aussie Laser Sailors" thread in the OTHER section. Post you intentions or reports there too!

Back