Mooring at the dock

powdermoose

I would like to leave my starfish moored at the dock. Is there a way to do this to ensure that it doesn't sink? I am looking at a boat cover for $99 from Slo, a cockpit cover for $50 on ebay, or trying to rig something myself with snaps as a tent around the cockpit. Not sure if I would leave the mast in or remove it, but I think it fits too loosely to leave it in. Any suggestions???? It's too heavy for me to hoist onto the dock alone, there is a concrete wall around the parkway edge so the bottom scrapes if I haul it onto land by myself, and I own the dock so it makes no sense to trailer it.
Thank you so much for your suggestions.
Sandi

Even with a cockpit full of water, I'm pretty sure a sunfish (in one piece) is un-sinkable. I once sailed mine with a small hole in the hull (unknown to me) until the hull was FULL of water and I was able to sail it to the beach. Took six guys to get it on the trailer, though.:eek:

I would pad the dock and tie the boat tight to the padding at the bow and stern so it can't bang around. Should be fine, IMHO. And I say leave the mast in as long as theft isn't a concern.

-Pete

One consideration when leaving your dinghy in fresh water for prolonged periods of time, especially warm fresh water is osmosis blistering (water penetration of the gel coat and laminate that results initially in numerous tiny "bumps" on the surface of the underside which can increase in size if ignored) This obviously occurs below the water line and also in areas above the waterline that catch and hold rain water, such as the cockpit. When your tying it to your dock place a couple of fenders between the dinghy and the dock, then use docking lines with some built in stretch, and don't tie it so tight that it can't move, allow it to move a little both fore and aft as well as sideways. The fenders will absorb any bumping against the dock.

As Zeppo already pointed out, a Sunfish (or Starfish) isn't really meant to be left in the water for days on end. To prevent problems, some have come up with mechanical systems to hoist a fish onto a dock. Davits are also a possibility. I have also seen ads that show a floating platform 'tied' to a dock. You just sail the boat up onto the platform. But I have no idea about the cost.

Here's a link to a prior thread on davits etc.:
http://www.sunfishforum.com/showthread.php?t=28145

Back