Mooring a Laser

Tri_X_Troll

I've been car toping a sunfish for a few years and will be picking up a 1986 Laser this week. The laser will primarily be trailered to local lakes, which is no big deal.

My grandparents have a place on a lake and I would like to avoid pulling the boat in and out every day while I am visiting. In the past we have moored my sunfish and their X about 10 feet off the end of the pier. As the laser has no halliard, is this possible?

you mean halyard?

I have no idea what a "halliard" is...

just leave your lower section is, and tie a bowline around it, there's your mooring line, maybe then run it through the boy eye

I just bring it up on a dolly so the bottom doesn't get all junky

Is there any technique to removing the sail and top section while floating with a mild wind? I haven't rigged the boat or seen a laser rigged up close, but it does not appear possible to reef the sail on a laser as I have with my sunfish.

well you could wrap the sail around the mast, but that would require to take out the battens, thats what everyone does after the days racing for the next day

you can lower you mast on the water, take out the batter, put it back up, and then wrap it, but YOU would have you take your boom off first, and try and not loose it overboard

I have seen people lower their mast before a race, and it can be sketchy, I don't advise it

just be a dolly and bring it ashore like the rest of us, its not a great boat to moor, get a Vanguard Nomad if your serious about it, or stitch with your sunfish

I've been car toping a sunfish for a few years and will be picking up a 1986 Laser this week. The laser will primarily be trailered to local lakes, which is no big deal.

My grandparents have a place on a lake and I would like to avoid pulling the boat in and out every day while I am visiting. In the past we have moored my sunfish and their X about 10 feet off the end of the pier. As the laser has no halliard, is this possible?

You could leave it on a mooring WITHOUT the mast in the boat. Otherwise it will flip over if left in...

you mean halyard?

I have no idea what a "halliard" is...

just leave your lower section is, and tie a bowline around it, there's your mooring line, maybe then run it through the boy eye

I just bring it up on a dolly so the bottom doesn't get all junky

And I along with most others have no idea what a "boy eye" is... maybe you mean bow eye???

Ross, before you rip people, please ensure your own perfection first. As you and most people are considerably far from perfect, perhaps spend more time educating yourself rather than your petulant habit of correcting others.

To the OP....

You might want to get out of your boat close to shore or on the dock. Then pull the mast over on top of you to remove the battens, return the boat to the upright position and then roll the sail around the mast once you've detached the clew from the boom. If you then pass a rope through the bow eye and tie it in a bowline around the mast it will be good overnight.

Good luck and have fun sailing!

my bad, honest mistake

but I mean come on "halliard"?? thats soooo much worse! at least mine is a real word!

Would the boat stay upright with the weight of the sail wrapped around the upright mast? I feel like it would be really unstable.

Would the boat stay upright with the weight of the sail wrapped around the upright mast? I feel like it would be really unstable.

Rob, I hear what you're saying and while it will be less stable than not having the mast stepped, I'm sure that for a temporary solution it would be fine so long as it's not windy!

Rob, I hear what you're saying and while it will be less stable than not having the mast stepped, I'm sure that for a temporary solution it would be fine so long as it's not windy!

Are you sure as in you've done it or witnessed it done before? Or are you sure as in you think it should work?

Myself, I've never seen this done or heard of anyone doing it.

Sure as in for a boat to tip over, the CoG needs to move outside the CoF.

By placing a rigged mast in the boat you probably raise the CoG by 3 feet or so. So to tip the boat, you would still need something to rock the boat by a significant angle, even the wake from a passing boat wouldn't do that.

If anyone knew the weight and length of the mast then i can work it out exactly?

Ignoring the risks of leaving a Laser moored, I would have thought it easier to just haul it out and leave it on its trolley. The negatives and hassle with it being moored (e.g. getting ashore (with all the gear), getting back out to it (with all the gear), cleaning it, etc.) against floating it onto a trolley taking a couple of seconds !! Its safe, easy, quick, etc. etc.

Ian

The main problem with the dolly method, is that the seawall is too high and there are large, sharp rocks in the shallow water. (see below) I suppose that I could invest in a lift for it. The nearest boat ramp is clear across the lake, so pulling it in and out with the trailer would be a huge hassle. While Culver is not the calmest of lakes, I have never had a problem leaving the Sunfish floating off the bouy for days at a time. My grandmother used to leave her X boat floating on the mooring for weeks at a time.

Perhaps I will leave the laser at home this summer and car-top the sunfish up. Now you're probably asking why I don't sail the X. The X is going to be 55 years old this summer and hasn't been in sailing condition in a few years.
782825995_l.jpg

take a crappy sail, pin the boat, and let the clew go. How much wind do you expect overnight? a flogging main shouldn't flip the boat. No worries about battens, or wrapping, just let her be... or, drop a weight, rig it to one side main sheet block, sit the boat sideways, sail in the water. Put the weight on the bottom, and pull to the block just enough to keep the boat sideways.

don't put a laser on a mooring! you are just asking to come and right it in the morning! the camp i work at has 4 lasers, and the last time we had them on the moorings, well... we don't talk about that...

Back