missing 64 rudder attachment

katananut

I'm new here just got restarted with sail boats, picked up a clean 64 Sunfish hull, we won't talk about the rigging yet. But somehow bringing it back home after I bought it, I lost the lower hull attachment for the rudder. Is there any one who has a good picture of this part, I'm a machinist and I know I can make one if need be. Even just give me the lenght, width and thickness will help. From what I have read so far, this part is like the Holy Grail for Sunfish. The last time I sailed a Sunfish was about 40 years ago so this is like starting all over again for me.

Thanks

I'm still awaiting my rudder conversion kit. If I can get the part off this weekend, I'll mail it to you.

I'll see if I can get a picture and some dimensions in the meantime for you. I have a funny feeling this thing isn't going to budge when I attempt to get it off. It may be sawzall time...

Do you still need dimensions for this part?

Mine is accessible. I can take some pictures and sketch up a crude blueprint if you need it. I've got a fairly extensive machining background as well.

. . . somehow bringing it back home after I bought it, I lost the lower hull attachment for the rudder.
The part is available on the used parts market and prices aren't bad unless you trap yourself in an ebay bidding war.

Check out the FOR SALE section right here at TSF

I have a funny feeling this thing isn't going to budge when I attempt to get it off. It may be sawzall time...
It's a brass wood screw set into a wood block, no need to get drastic. Worse comes to worse, when you gain access to your inner hull to do the conversion, gnaw away the backing block with visegrips and the screw will fall out. Most likely the screw head will just twist off, nonetheless, you're going to remove the screw and plug the hole as part of your conversion anyway.

They all popped right out last weekend - I was surprised. It took all of a minute.

After 37 years, I had to replace my bridle sheet this weekend as well, and that went just as easy. That was the good news. The bad news is that while my bailer is fine and was not determined to be the cause of my leak, my leak was subsequently determined to be coming from the mast tube. This is not good. I now have a makeshift repair going with MarineTex and some fiberglass drywall tape, yet I don't this is going to hold for long. This is structural, and I'm afraid I going to have to open it it and do it the right way. It's been a long weekend....

Attachments

• IMG_6194.jpg
    IMG_6194.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 42

Back