Minifish with Sunfish racing sail

Hi ,
I've been gathering up all the parts i need to renovate my MiniFish.
I've just about got everything now & this afternoon i bought a used , mint condition Sunfish racing sail ( North Sails sail ) , with a perfect boom , sprit & gooseneck attached , for $250. I have no idea if this was a good deal or not , but i bought it anyway !
Can i simply use this set up on my MiniFish , or will it create problems ?

Cheers ,

Len

Len,

You made a good deal price wise. A new race sail will cost $406 USD and a new set of spars w/gooseneck goes for $399 USD. You "can" use the sail and spars but will be way overpowered and more likely to capsize (wear your wet suit for sure) unless you are a really big guy. The spars are longer (longer than your MiniFish) and really need the 10' Sunfish mast to help with the weather helm (able to adjust forward) in heavy air, with the MiniFish mast, you don't have as much to work with. In light air, you may have an advantage with about 10 extra sruare feet of sail. Good Luck

Thanks Supercub ,
I also got a used Sunfish mast with the deal , but it's broken at the bottom & i'll have to cut it which will then make it about 9' 6" , so with a new end cap , i guess it might work.

Len,
my name is nick. I am fifteen, and weigh 120 pounds. I always used to use a sunfish rig with my minifish (it was recently stolen) even when I was ten, and weighed like 65 pounds. True, then I had trouble on the windier days, but I weighed 65 pounds, and enjoyed the excitement. I have been out in a good twenty knots the past couple summers, and did not feel much more overpowered than I had on normal sunfish in simmilar conditions, and certainly outran a few. I also set up outhauls and a kind of vang to flatten the sail. You got a great deal on the rig, and I would definitely stick with it. just make sure to have a long hiking stick and a good hiking strap.

Hello Nick ,

Sorry to hear that someone stole your Minifish , that's not good.
Thanks for the info about the Sunfish rig , i can't wait to get mine fixed up & give it a try,
No doubt i'll flip over a few times , but hopefully i'll be going as fast as i can at the time !

Len

Back