Midwinters report : Chesapeake Bay slant

LaserFleet10

Ted Morgan
I siezed a last minute opportunity to attend the Midwinters in Clearwater Beach Florida last weekend. I figured, what could be better then sailing one-designs in Florida while the mid-atlantic gets pelted with snow? This would be my fourth trip to Clearwater, and my seventh midwinters overall. From a racing perspective it was probably the lamest since we only completed 3 races....but don't let that deceive you as we got in a ton of warm water sailing over the course of four days.

There were a good number of mid Atlantic laser sailers in attendance. Over in the 89 boat full rig fleet I was joined by fellow SSA member Alden Shattuck (45th), as well as two great people from the Jersey shore, Mike Hecky and Dave Breder. Last year's District 11 Champion Royce Webber was there and finished 10th overall - a great regatta for this future star of the class. Remember the 2003 Atlantic Coasts at SSA that Scott Ferguson (Rhode Island) won? He was in Clearwater and placed 6th overall. The Naval Academy was represented by six sailors including Stephen Gay, Charles Fulmer and Jeff Sharp (he won the 2004 Sunshine Open).

Other notables in the fleet included the usual suspects Andrew Campbell (1st), Brad Funk (2nd) and Mark Mendelblatt (3rd). Current Snipe US champ Ernesto Rodriguez was 15th. A bit of a surprise was seeing 1971 Laser World Champion Peter Commette out there - and seeing his daughter out in the radial fleet. Scott Ferguson brought the whole family as I believe his wife sailed in the radial fleet and his daughter sailed a 4.7 rig.

The 83 boat Radial fleet saw Austin Kana (Tred Avon YC) finish 25th overall. He made the trip south with Elizabeth Dudley...both of whom have been frostbiting out of SSA all winter. I also saw Cole Allsopp down there (who should be frostbiting with us). At the top of the fleet Paige Railey and Anna Tunnicliffe continue battle it out. Paige took home the overall title.

Florida still has palm trees, dolphins, pelicans and eggrets. They still are doing karaokee at the Big Ben pub. Karen, they dissed the female full rig sailers once again by not giving out a top female award. It would have gone to Michelle Davis - you needed to be there. Chris Raab was still out there smoking away in between races and gabbing about everything under the sun. Andy from the Tackle Shack was up and running as usual, albeit a little less profitable with the lighter breeze. In all it was fantastic seeing all these great people...it's essentially an annual reunion; a fantastic time regardless of the hand that mother nature deals.

Please make it a priority to travel outside of you local club more this year. You wont regret it.

Results:
Http://www.clwyc.org/LaserMidwintersEast05/

Ted: thanks for the great summary, i was at the masters the weekend before getting spanked all over the gulf. we had good representation from our area at that regatta, too. john burnham, dave breder, mike hecky, and newt wattis all showed why the comp is tough in the mid-atlantic. i have to thank mike for delivering my blades and lines. i look forward to the sunshine open and some other early local regattas.

Back