McLube Sailkote

NOLAsailor

Does anyone know how much sailkote(ounces by the size of can) it takes to properly coat a laser for racing?
Any suggestions help,
thanks

what are you talking about coating. its not legal for the sailcote to be used on the hull itself but i find it to be helpful to spray on the back of the boom to reduce fricton with the clew. if your looking for something for the hull looking into the mclube hullcote or any teflon pollish or compound pollish your boat

gordo wrote 'its not legal for the sailcote to be used on the hull itself'

I see a spirited debate coming..... :)

before we begin a spirited debate.... does anyone believe this stuff makes that much of a difference?

though i may have sparked a spirted debate. i am right tho so its no biggie. but sailkote does make a differance. its a drylubricant so whatever you spray it on will have a surface with less friction and wont stick to it easily. on the topic of a debate the rules say that you can only put things on the hull that will produce a film or in other words that wont just quickly disolove. for that reason soap on a hull is not allowed

Does anyone know if Sailcote produces bubbles and turbulance the same way wax does? I understand it reduces friction, but what about water turbulance as much of hull speed is based on smooth waterflow over the hull? Just curious....

because the ILCA says it in a coded language:
8. HULL COATINGS​
The use of slowly soluble applications which might
alter the boundary layer characteristics of the hull are​
prohibited.

Can anyone translate?

Back