Mast wear plates

sailor327 said:
i just ordered the carbo and wearite wear plate kit of of APS and am wondering what it helps with.

The mast rotates. Presumably, the plate kit protects the maststep from wear caused by this rotation. I also read that newer boats have a plate/disk glassed into the bottom of the maststep.

Wavedancer

I have a question somewhat related to this issue, When I restored my '79 laser I found a hole right in the bottom of the mast step, so I I filled it up, glassed it and then put some Sikaflex on it. The result is that I'm pretty sure that the repair wll last longer than the boat, but the mast now steps about an inch taller than before, this is not good for me because I'm short and light but my concern is if this has made my boat illegal. Has it?

PS: Since the boat has an inspection hole by the mast step I reinforced it from the inside so the mast won't break it for being stepped higher than the base... yep, more weight on an already heavy boat...

At the bottom of a mast step there is a piece of wood and stainless steel (so ive been told). My friend has used at special vacuum sealed titanium plastic (about 120 for a metre of it) to his bottom section is this legal?

Chuso007 said:
, but the mast now steps about an inch taller than before, this is not good for me because I'm short and light but my concern is if this has made my boat illegal. Has it?

I think it's probably illegal, since you aren't supposed to change the function. By making the mast higher, you've got more power higher up, and you've noted that with your weight and height concerns, right? Also, on checking the rules, it states specifically that the tube or collar can't be raised more than 10mm. That's less than an inch. But unless you are sailing in one of the few sanctioned regattas, it shouldn't matter.

If you post a query in the Laser Class section, you might get an informal opinion. People check in there from the ILCA sometimes. SFBayLaser is the current ILCA president. I've sent a query to the ILCA on my rubrail on the gunwale question and am waiting for an answer months later. I suppose I need to send a letter co-signed by a lawyer for them to take it seriously. :rolleyes:

Merrily

Tom said:
At the bottom of a mast step there is a piece of wood and stainless steel (so ive been told). My friend has used at special vacuum sealed titanium plastic (about 120 for a metre of it) to his bottom section is this legal?

It can only be 1mm thick or less.

Back