Mast Tube

Sunfish65

My Sunfish is a 72. I noticed at the bottom of the mast tube the center is about 1/2 inch lower than the edges. It is like a circle has been cut out of the bottom. Is this normal? Or should I install a wear plate?

Attachments

• Sunfish 001.jpg
    Sunfish 001.jpg
    508.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Sunfish 002.jpg
    Sunfish 002.jpg
    870.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Sunfish 003.jpg
    Sunfish 003.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 50
I had the same post in mid Sept. I ordered a wear plate to finish off the fall sailing season. When I get to it this winter, I plan to fill the bottom of the tube with some sort of epoxy..... or someting. I need to revisit the post. I have a handful of little projects like this to do come January.
--------------------------------
Sept 25, 2011 - Another sailer at the club pointed out to me that the bottom cap of my mast was gone. It came like that with the boat so I didn't know there was supposed to be one. He said I would be wearing a hole in my mast step if I didn't get a cap. Sure enough, I looked in and the mast has just been eating away at the bottom. See pic. I have a nice ring on the outer edge a good 1/4 inch down. My question is, what do I fill in to build the bottom back up? Suggestions? And yes, I have installed the cap.

img_0216-jpg.7509

To Sunfish65 and Sailkb:
BB is correct. Moreover, with normal and proper usage, there is no need for a wear plate. Just keep the area clean and don't insert a muddy mast in the tube.

Thanks all. I probably should just relax. I can't think of
anything more that requires attention on my boat.
The off season is tough...

Back