Mast Step - Sleeve

Lasersrule

I just finished my first summer with a Laser - it's an older boat, but is in great shape - stored indoors and rarely used. Is there anything like a sleeve to go inside the mast step to prevent wear and tear? I'm sailing the boat off a beach and I'm concerned that the step is getting beat-up everytime I play Iwo Jima with the mast.

Thanks -

there isnt a sleeve but there is a metal disk that protects the bottom of the mast step from repair. another thing is you shouldnt play iwo jima with it you should just get it up then pick it up and carefully set it in the mast step.

has anybody thought of selling a cheap plastic sleeve sortof like a tennis ball container, with really thin plastic walls. Just slip it over the bottom of the lower section when you go sailing... somebody should sell this :p

markhamlin said:
... what is iwo jima?

There's a famous photo of four Marines raising the American flag on Iwo Jima during WWII. It's a on a big pole and really tilted.

Apparently an old washijg up liquid bottle is the right size for slipping over the end of the mast, I'm on the lookout for one and will let you know if it works!

(Not sure if you guys have washing up liquid in the US - you all use dishwashers, right?;))

markhamlin said:
has anybody thought of selling a cheap plastic sleeve sortof like a tennis ball container, with really thin plastic walls. Just slip it over the bottom of the lower section when you go sailing... somebody should sell this :p

Buy a (transparent) vinyl (3-ring) binder at an office store (cost $1 - $2). Remove the metal part and cut the vinyl part to size to make a sleeve. Roll the sleeve to fit inside the mast tube.

This works fine, but may be illegal according to Laser class rules. If so, you can still use it while you are training.

aps (and maybe someone else) sells adhesive-backed teflon strips. You get two, one to go around the mast towards the bottom, and one to go around near the top of the step. As far as I know, they are class legal, improve your rake (not by much) and, most importantly, reduce wear in the mast step.

With the combination of a metal plate and these strips, I've kept one mast step leak free after years of beach launching.

another tip: wipe the bottom of your mast step off before putting it in and don't stand it up on the ground...much harder to do if the wind is blowing really hard.

Back